smashed finger

Help Support CattleToday:

Red Bull Breeder":2vndowzq said:
Hoss if it hurts any worse the what you just did to your finger don't do it. Jo is right except it has never saved a nail for me yet.

I think the key is to do it quickly before it swells too much. I smashed a finger a few months ago and drained it and never lost the nail. It was ugly for a few weeks but it finally grew out fine. Had to be careful with the last of the growth and keep the nail trimmed flush so it wouldn't catch on something and foul it.

The first time I hurt my finger bad enough to lose the nail, the new one was growing in and a little bit of the old one was still hanging on. It kept getting caught on everything, so I decided to just grab it and yank it off. That wasn't one of my better ideas. I just thought the first injury hurt.

I was about 20 yrs. old. I'd like to think I'm smarter now.

A friend of mine(as a kid) slamed the truck door on his thumb. While ther Dr. was talking to him and his dad, he was heating up a bent paper clip. When it was red, he pushed it through my friends nail. He had relief a short time later.

When I was a kid caught my thumb in car door and dr. cut it off but too long now I have stubby thumb with 1/2 nail sticking out have to file off every month.Then when I got older and smarter(17) stuck my hand under post pounder and lost middle finger at first joint. I remember they both hurt like heck for 2 weeks.

danl":2brkdmd3 said:
When I smashed mine I googled how to relieve pressure and there were instructions on medical boards on using a tiny drill bit.

Believe it or not there were cautions from doctors saying the drill bit was fine, just don't use the drill. Said they had seen patients try to drill hole in fingernail with power drill and it would catch and go all the way through the finger.

Talk about jumping from frying pan in to fire!!!

I drilled my finger once. All the way through and out the other side. The worst part was the knowing that I had to reverse the drill to get it out. A 3/16 bit by the way.

Heck Melking, you shulda just went ahead and tapped it to threads while you were at it.
Just think how handy it would have been all these years to have a threaded connection right on your hand.. ;-)

About 5months ago

now, nail is a little crooked but overall ok. I have some numbness right on the tip, but I'll deal with it!

Most of you make me ashamed of even mentioning my smashed finger. I need to wait for something more grandiose before posting any more.

My b-i-l cut his right index finger off at the last joint (table saw adventurer) . Too mangled up to reattach the end.
The doctors just cleaned the mangled end good, then pulled the skin up and sewed it closed---temporarily.
Because it was an "important" finger, they did fix it in an unusual way (to me anyway).
They cut off the end joint of one of his toes, and grafted it onto his severed finger.
true story.
I always wonder how new acquaintances would feel if they knew they were shaking hands with his foot.

Crap!!! I did it again.. the ac on my old MF2705 doesn't work and I had the side window open for a little air. I have a voltage invertor hooked up to a fan in the cab so I don't die.
Went to close the window and got my thumb in the latch. I couldn't get a hot needle to burn thru the nail, so I used a 20 gauge syringe and ran it under the nail till I got to the blood pocket and sucked most of it out.
At least it took the pressure off and it feels better when it quits hurting

danl":2s7ke0or said:
Crap!!! I did it again.. the ac on my old MF2705 doesn't work and I had the side window open for a little air. I have a voltage invertor hooked up to a fan in the cab so I don't die.
Went to close the window and got my thumb in the latch. I couldn't get a hot needle to burn thru the nail, so I used a 20 gauge syringe and ran it under the nail till I got to the blood pocket and sucked most of it out.
What was the previous use of that needle? :lol:

danl":2503weg6 said:
I like to use a tiny jewelers screw driver. The flats help to drill through the nail.

danl":1e2r7m1g said:
Monday I smashed my right index finger real good. I always use a syringe needle like a drill to relieve pressure.

Nesikep":12jofp3n said:
danl":12jofp3n said:
What was the previous use of that needle? :lol:
At least I was smart enough to use a new one.. :D
I had a couple of 3cc syringes in my "medicine bag" not sure why. Everything I give is at least 5cc...

Got one finger 1/2" shorter than its sposed to be, I dont think its growing back.

Finger dont work real well either, Not much of a pointer.

danl":11ozpe6h said:
You've got bigger balls then I have!

Latest posts