Smartphone replacement

Help Support CattleToday:

This is my smart phone replacement. It is actually pretty dumb as all it does is in coming and out going calls. But it works for that which is more than I can say for any "smart phones". They won't do that here. And the only reason I have a phone is so I can call out when I want and receive the calls when someone tries to call me.

PC062747.JPG

This is my smart phone replacement. It is actually pretty dumb as all it does is in coming and out going calls. But it works for that which is more than I can say for any "smart phones". They won't do that here. And the only reason I have a phone is so I can call out when I want and receive the calls when someone tries to call me.

View attachment 10893
I remember those, and the rotary phones. The only problem with those is it's a little hard to take them out into the field with you. Well I guess you could, but then it would do you no good. LOL.

It all depends on what you want your phone to do and how much you use it. Mines well over a $1,000....couch $2,000. Phones have become mini laptops in our hands, cameras, videos cameras, all compacted in to one tiny little convent gadget we can do so many things or wast so much time.

If we were talking about a bull, truck, tools, guns, fishing rods, boats, ect. Money would be a thing. 😆 Just all depends on what you want to use the phone for.

I enjoy having the more expensive cameras on a phone and videos. Not so much the phone. I could buy a separate camera and a phone but than I'd still be out that much money and having to carry 2 things around.

In our area cricket doesn't work, only in town. Same with At&t... being the same company. I used to cuss them. 😆🤡😡🤬

Exactly
It's a phone, a computer, a entertainment system, a navigator, a dictionary, a compass, a voice recorder, a camera, a appointment book, a phone book it goes on and on. A 1000.00 is a bargain for what it does.
[/QUOTE]
Who would have thought Fence to be a technology geek.

Ken

What I was getting at is that there is a point of diminishing returns. I bought a brand new Galaxy S9+ a few years ago when it was the latest and greatest. It didn't do anything that the phone it replaced wouldn't, and cost me a lot more money. I actually had more trouble with that phone than others.

Seems like the tech has plateaued to me, you are spending way more for something that is marginally better, if at all. Companies don't seem interested in things that actually matter, like a battery that lasts halfway decent or a screen that won't shatter if you look at it wrong. Anything to keep their fingers in your pockets.

My favorite of all time was the Droid Turbo. Had a killer battery, excellent camera, good reception, everything you could want. A flashlight that I used to carry in the same pocket eventually broke the screen. The Turbo 2 sucked in comparison, and they never made a third. I had a G7 Power, which was okay, but still didn't really compare.

Last edited:
I remember those, and the rotary phones. The only problem with those is it's a little hard to take them out into the field with you. Well I guess you could, but then it would do you no good. LOL.
My point got missed. I don't care how smart your phone is it won't work here. It doesn't matter how many functions a phone has if it doesn't work as a phone what good does it do to pack it around?

View attachment 10893

As an adult I've never had a lane line in my house.... 🤔 Thats strange to think. Times was so much simpler before cellphone, internet, ect.

What I was getting at is that there is a point of diminishing returns. I bought a brand new Galaxy S9+ a few years ago when it was the latest and greatest. It didn't do anything that the phone it replaced wouldn't, and cost me a lot more money. I actually had more trouble with that phone than others.

Seems like the tech has plateaued to me, you are spending way more for something that is marginally better, if at all. Companies don't seem interested in things that actually matter, like a battery that lasts halfway decent or a screen that won't shatter if you look at it wrong. Anything to keep their fingers in your pockets.

My favorite of all time was the Droid Turbo. Had a killer battery, excellent camera, good reception, everything you could want. A flashlight that I used to carry in the same pocket eventually broke the screen. The Turbo 2 sucked in comparison, and they never made a third. I had a G7 Power, which was okay, but still didn't really compare.

I had a Galaxy S9+ never had a single problem with it. I loved the camera. I went from an iPhone didn't have a very good camera.

My point got missed. I don't care how smart your phone is it won't work here. It doesn't matter how many functions a phone has if it doesn't work as a phone what good does it do to pack it around?

I'm guessing ya'll don't have cellular service? People around here don't know how to act without cellphones.

As an adult I've never had a lane line in my house.... 🤔 Thats strange to think. Times was so much simpler before cellphone, internet, ect.

I had a Galaxy S9+ never had a single problem with it. I loved the camera. I went from an iPhone didn't have a very good camera.

I'm guessing ya'll don't have cellular service? People around here don't know how to act without cellphones.
So imagine being a young teenager and the only phone in the house is hanging on the kitchen wall and tethered by about 30" of cord. Anytime you get on the phone the tv in the living room gets turned down and everyone in the house gets quiet and turns their ear towards you...............

So imagine being a young teenager and the only phone in the house is hanging on the kitchen wall and tethered by about 30" of cord. Anytime you get on the phone the tv in the living room gets turned down and everyone in the house gets quiet and turns their ear towards you...............

How old do ya'll think I am? 🤨🤔 Fully loaded question. 😆🤡

Worst trouble with mine was that it would randomly go from 50%+ battery down to like 2% in an instant and then shut off. There was no rhyme or reason to it, but was extremely annoying.

Biggest thing is that it wasn't worth the $900 or whatever they went for.

I've had the galaxy S10 for a year or so, good camera and no problems.
S10+, the glass screen covering the camera lens is very easy to break. Breaks easily even when in a protective case. I guess it's just not designed for dropping in the alleyway...

I have Samsung A51. No problems. I like it and much cheaper than some. It has an excellent
camera too. Actually more than one camera. I think it was like $400. Does more than I need it to do.

And not just in your house either. Everyone else on the party line...

People complain about lack of privacy nowadays but back in 'the good ol days' there was no such thing.
How old do ya'll think I am?
Uh, Old enough to know not to ask us that?

We're all old enough to know not to answer it.

I remember those days well. Our phone was located in the den......same room as my daddy's recliner and the tv.

I remember those days well. Our phone was located in the den......same room as my daddy's recliner and the tv.
Ours was in the living room, on top of the Victrola.

How many of you remember the phone # from the house you grew up in?
And it was the same number for YEARS, from 1956 until my parents got a different house and my father shut down his auto shop in the back of the old home place.
It changed only once, and that was because the phone company went to a different type numbering system in the mid 50s.
Originally, it was just a 5 digit #.
3-1634
But changed to 426-2668 sometime before 1960, when an area code was added.
(Check them prices out.)

yrkgarage.jpg
Looks like I got a dead bug on my scanner
yrkgarage3_0003.jpg

Ours was in the living room, on top of the Victrola.

How many of you remember the phone # from the house you grew up in?
And it was the same number for YEARS, from 1956 until my parents got a different house and my father shut down his auto shop in the back of the old home place.
It changed only once, and that was because the phone company went to a different type numbering system in the mid 50s.
Originally, it was just a 5 digit #.
3-1634
But changed to 426-2668 sometime before 1960, when an area code was added.
(Check them prices out.)

View attachment 10941
Looks like I got a dead bug on my scanner
View attachment 10942
Wow . He was working cheap ...wonder what the hourly rate was?

Latest posts