Smaller Feed Sacks

Help Support CattleToday:

fit2btied

Reaction score
I was in one of the local farm and feed/western TSC type stores yesterday. They carry Nutrena feed products and had signs posted all over the place saying "Due to repeated customer requests, Nutrena Feeds will now be packaged in 40# sacks, for your handling convenience. We listened to you and appreciate your business. Some products will still be available in 50# sacks." I'm sure it has nothing to do with disguising rising prices. :roll: Guess they figured it worked for the 8# sacks of potatoes and 4# sacks of sugar, so why not take a shot at the production end of the business also.

as you stated it could be for 2 reasons.as we all get older 50lb sacks become harder to handle.an yes the 40lb sacks are lighter.but just think your 20lb short of 100lbs.so youd have to buy 3 40s if you wanted 100lbs of feed.the truth is by going to the 40s the price of feed will go up.id bet that itll go up 50% in smaller sacks.

I remember when I was about 12 my dad would go get 3 tons of hog feed in burlap bags on a truck and when I got home from school I would carry it into the hog pens and dump it into the feeders .Those bags would stretch to the point they could get a ton of feed into 18 bags .Doubt that I could do that today .

Larry

A lot of the dog foods went to 40s a while back. Last time I checked the 40s are now 37.5s

dun":2a8lvjr7 said:
A lot of the dog foods went to 40s a while back. Last time I checked the 40s are now 37.5s

They like those oddball no's because it makes it hard to figure the per pound price in your head. They hope you just give up on figuring how much the price went up and just haul it up to the checkout.

I first noticed this practice at the local TSC on quikrete. Their price / bag was less than the local coop and building suppliers. A savvy shopper has to watch for practices such as this. Also in our area, until this yr of the drought, it was difficult to sell 5x6 rolls of hay for much more than 4x5s. Seems that many folks think a roll of hay is just a roll of hay and a bag of feed is just a bag of feed.
Better learn to guesstimate unit price on such things.

Wal Mart has been selling 40# bags of deer corn for years. Put it right by the front door and people buy it like hotcakes. Never think to check the weight. With 40 pounders most folks won't take the time to do the calculations and just think Nutrena is looking out for their back.

Yes it's a marketing thing, they can even raise the price a few cents per pound and people will buy the 40's instead of the 50's cause it's a buck cheaper. Something like people think 19.99$ is a better buy then 20 bucks even. :roll:

Yall are missing another big obvious marketing point.

recall that the original post said due to request......

Most horse owners are women and many fight with hay bales and feed bags.

10 lbs makes a difference. they will pay the same price for an easier to handle bag.

What is a womans number one objection to a western saddle......It is too heavy to get on the horse.

:) My husband has always contended that if women can carry kids around all day (which kills him) they can surely handle moving 50 lb bags.

pdfangus":1nfctahg said:
Yall are missing another big obvious marketing point.

recall that the original post said due to request......

Most horse owners are women and many fight with hay bales and feed bags.

10 lbs makes a difference. they will pay the same price for an easier to handle bag.

What is a womans number one objection to a western saddle......It is too heavy to get on the horse.

PD, true enough. Check the vet's office as well. Most keep some Science Diet or other food there. Seldom in the larger bags. Always in those little "purse size" bags. Course the lady of the house is usually the one that takes the dog and cat to the vet as well. And there are always a bunch of sample bags too so you can give Rover a little taste on the spot to make sure he likes it. Usually works out to about $1.50 a lb minimum. :mad:

gerardplauche":261bfv57 said:
The feed mill near my house stills sell 100# sacks only.

Now Gerald, at my age those are just too darned heavy. :lol: But I bet they have a couple of big husky young men to load them.

Price of sugar has not gone up in 20 years.
That is the retailers and marketers slimming down the bags then charging you more.

Remember- in the grocery store always buy by unit price posted on the shelf- and at the feed store always bring a calculator.

They are heavy, and very awkward to move around by hand, but they are cheaper - and that's what counts.

Sugarman":t1daqx9u said:
Price of sugar has not gone up in 20 years.
That is the retailers and marketers slimming down the bags then charging you more.

Remember- in the grocery store always buy by unit price posted on the shelf- and at the feed store always bring a calculator.

Agreed. Smaller bags means more bagging material and labor to pay for.

Oh- I forgot one:
Kingsford Charcoal - was in a 10 pound bag & now is in a 9 pound bag.

I think it is due to all the sprawl of city folk who are buying ranchettes to raise their pet cow and horse. Being that they are of the weaker sort they need smaller bags to be able to carry them. One day in near future you will be able to buy cow and horse feed like dog feed, 40lb, 20lb, 10lb and 5lb bags for your convenience. :lol:

And get it at Wal-Mart beside the dog and cat food. I also suspect they will sell partial hay bales also like they do them groups of fire wood outside.

Can not believe Caustic has not explained this yet. :lol:

Ps. The above comment was meant in jest and not to offend owners of pet cows or horses or weakling suburbanite men. :)

Latest posts