Slow breeding cows

Help Support CattleToday:

regolith

Reaction score
Inspired by herofan's thread as well as observations in my herd.

Several years back I contacted my vet of the time about long returns to AI, he sent me some information and we established that my herd did have far more than the accepted proportion of long heat intervals.
I don't think it changes that much from year to year. I do think it's probably the biggest thing impacting the fertility of my herd, is cows that are cycling normally, mated, stop cycling and return to heat weeks later - sometimes close enough to 40 - 44 days to suggest a missed heat but I'm also seeing them return at five weeks, seven weeks, eight weeks, thirteen weeks... and I have several years worth of data showing that I miss around 1 - 2% of heats in unmated cycling cows but every year that goes to at least 5 - 6% after they've been mated.

Have never quite got round to kidnapping a very good vet for discussion and problem solving on the issue. Five years ago the herd tested at high BVD antibody levels, two PIs were found and culled, the antibody levels dropped to moderate and over the last two years have returned to extremely high with all PCR milk tests negative for PIs in the herd.
All animals are lepto vaccinated annually; the calves a month earlier and then again along with the rest of the herd.

My first inclination is to think that transient BVD infections may be causing early pregnancy losses, though I'm not getting PIs or obvious BVD calves.

Any other ideas? Interesting to note that my overall open rate is usually slightly better than average, so the long returns seem to be impacting calving spread rather than number of open cows. It would still be nice to shave 2% off the open rate.

A cessation of cycling followed by a return to heat after rain is quite common in a small proportion of cows, but that usually happens towards the end of mating when we're heading into a dry summer & I think is entirely caused by inadequate feed to support cycling through a dry spell.

Just throwing this out there, but I know beef is different than dairy, but what about genetic disorders that cause early embryonic death? I know beef cattle have a few known genetic diseases than can cause this... It sounds like the cows are getting bred, then slip the pregnancy. If you had money to blow, it would almost be worth getting the 30 day pregnancy test done to see what they come back as, open or bred...

Fire Sweep Ranch":j5e0x09s said:
Just throwing this out there, but I know beef is different than dairy, but what about genetic disorders that cause early embryonic death? I know beef cattle have a few known genetic diseases than can cause this... It sounds like the cows are getting bred, then slip the pregnancy. If you had money to blow, it would almost be worth getting the 30 day pregnancy test done to see what they come back as, open or bred...

Good thinking. I've had this on my mind lately. A chromosome defect that results in 5 to 10% of early abortions. So if 1 of 10 lose first pregnancy, only 1 of 100 will lose two pregnancies, and only 1 of 1000 will lose three in a row. So low impact on overall calving rates, but a general delay in calving. Only noticeable if keeping good records as does Regolith.

Here's a slideshow from a vet in Australia as it occurs in British Whites. And they supposedly got the problem from infusing some Scandinavian breeds' blood into the British Whites in England after World War 2. So who knows where and in what breeds you might find it.

http://www.britishwhitecattleaustralia. ... ept_08.pdf

This breeder displays the chromosome test on this bull. The "karyotype report" that shows his bull has the full 60 chromosomes as normal. Affected animals will have 59 chromosomes and pass the defect to half their offspring (heterozygous), while others will only have 58 chromosomes and pass the defect to all their offspring.

http://www.britishwhite.com/colonel-jr.htm

Where does this fit in with your peak milk production? Making milk requires that the liver filters a lot of blood. When the liver filters lots of blood it also filters a lot of hormones.

Jh1 gene? It's already been identified, I think most of the bulls I'm using are not tested for it.
Good thought. Yes, I have wondered along those lines - I've commented before that the common practice of only raising heifers conceived in the first cycle of AI after calving doesn't seem to be improving the national herd fertility any.

cow pollinator - I'm doing twelve weeks mating usually, starting about twelve weeks after the start of calving. Milk flows are peaking in the first three to four weeks of AI and the grass is heading into the reproductive stage, so feed quality is declining if not carefully controlled. Towards the end of mating (now) it can turn dry and if earlier pasture management hasn't been top notch, milk flow is declining rapidly.
My pasture management is of course top notch :shock: Every farmer will tell you they know which cows are pregnant within three weeks of AI from how well they're milking, and every vet and scientist will respond with 'that's impossible' and blame the feed for the drop in production.

So far as possible I'm only using bulls with a positive % for their fertility rating, hoping that will eliminate anything that is carrying unknown bad genes. That has to be balanced with other good traits of course - and it's one of only two traits where my cows are slightly behind the national average (protein % is the other).

Re-visiting this issue:

LIC have recently published their 'discovery' of a recessive gene in the Jersey population they're calling fertility1.
Now there's a few things that don't add up for me numbers wise, and on reading their article I decided this was not impacting my breeding rates (it's worded as if the gene causes stillborns, not early pregnancy loss). However they provided a list of bulls, and it's genetics that I know are heavy in my herd, plus at least two bulls that I was planning on using next year.

So I went back to looking for information on JH1, which has been known about for a couple of years.
http://genex.crinet.com/page4113/Haplot ... gFertility
http://www.progressivedairy.com/index.p ... &Itemid=73
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3551820/

NZ Jersey bulls haven't, to my knowledge, been tested for JH1 yet (I did put the word discovery in quotes for a reason though...) but looking at the basic information - over 20% of the population affected, over 3% extra returns at 60 days and again, some of these (US-origin) genetics are in my herd.
So I think the answer to my slow breeders might be getting a lot closer. I'm looking at more like 5 - 6% long returns that could be related to pregnancy loss, even if JH1 and/or fertility1 accounted for half of them then management could boost conception rate by 2%.
Of course, management starts with knowledge and this issue has only been made public within the last few days (I found it on the LIC website while retrieving herd test information, it was also in this week's farming papers). I'm still waiting to see when testing of bulls is going to be completed, and LIC are talking about making a test for females on farm available.

Another three long returns occurred in January, all of them Jersey cows, one I mated again the other two were too old to be given another chance.

Thanks.
I'm using a bit of Brown Swiss and was hoping I'd be able to find a list of which bulls are affected.

Latest posts