Sliding Trailer Door

Help Support CattleToday:

Dogs and Cows":hrrxeo38 said:
I have a small stock trailer that has bat wing doors on the back...it is a real pain in the rear trying to load cattle at the chute because I can't close the door. My question, is there any way I can retrofit a sliding door on the back of the trailer replacing the swinging door? This way I won't have to buy a new trailer. Thanks for thoughts and suggestions.

Tim

Back the trailer up just enough to swing the gate out on each side and chain the gate to the chute then load the cows and lock each gate one at a time. I have a sliding gate and have to be exactly in place to use it. I would prefer the two swinging gate to a sliding one any day.

hurleyjd":3gt2icmn said:
Dogs and Cows":3gt2icmn said:
I have a small stock trailer that has bat wing doors on the back...it is a real pain in the rear trying to load cattle at the chute because I can't close the door. My question, is there any way I can retrofit a sliding door on the back of the trailer replacing the swinging door? This way I won't have to buy a new trailer. Thanks for thoughts and suggestions.

Tim

Back the trailer up just enough to swing the gate out on each side and chain the gate to the chute then load the cows and lock each gate one at a time. I have a sliding gate and have to be exactly in place to use it. I would prefer the two swinging gate to a sliding one any day.
I disagree. I wouldn't have a trailer with butterfly gates. My trailer with a sliding gate works very well.

Brute 23":2fevybfx said:
The double gates aren't bad if it's on a cattle trailer and the flip in. You just flip one in and back up. Business as usual.

If it's a horse trailer and the doors flip out, it sucks.

But when I flip the gate in the last animal I load always seems to stop right in the way so I can't close it.

Dogs and Cows":3f237rbr said:
I'm not Jules...wish I was, but I don't have the skills or equipment. How about you???? Need some work?

Tim

Lol I got work pouring out my ears but if I can get a breather I would come help ya.

I went and looked at Delta's website. They are local trailer manufacturer. Almost all their's are butterfly doors.

I am in the market for a 20 footer. Is it really that big a deal? I don't want to make a mistake.

I've had them both and won't own another butterfly. With the slide you can load out of an alley and with the whole door swung open you can use it to load out of a bigger gate and use that big door to cram them in. I'm constantly helping somebody and loading out of different places and it's always a pain when somebody shows up with a butterfly. Seems nothing fits the load out except what they've built at home to match the trailer.

Rafter S":1906670t said:
HDRider":1906670t said:
I don't want to make a mistake.

You won't regret getting a trailer with a sliding gate.

I agree.

The dual rear gate is a horse think I think.

Also, you might look at a 24'. The price difference between a 20 & 24 is next to nothing but the hauling room is noticeably different. A 24 can be a 20 but a 20 can't be a 24.

J&D Cattle":2emq3vr8 said:
I've had them both and won't own another butterfly. With the slide you can load out of an alley and with the whole door swung open you can use it to load out of a bigger gate and use that big door to cram them in. I'm constantly helping somebody and loading out of different places and it's always a pain when somebody shows up with a butterfly. Seems nothing fits the load out except what they've built at home to match the trailer.

I totally agree.

And ever have a few that you're just happy to get locked in, then need to separate inside trailer, trying to use swinging divider gate? I made this into a slider also. Very neat improvement.

ps----if you do that, have protruding sliding part to front of trailer. Seems like a guy gets that half loaded a little tighter, plus door is less protrusive when tied open.

My experience.
I've loaded and helped load a half slider. I usually load mine with full swing door because my loading places work best that way.
Both have their advantages.
The slider works well if you have something to load that's hard to handle. Always a danger of one stepping off or pushing back with full swing.