skunks

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cowman":16jg2agi said:
DUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
come get your skunk he showed up here tonite and sprayed the dogs

That ex-wife of mine sure does get around!

Just use a live trap and wrap something around it, My dad owns a pest control company and they catch hundreds that way and only had a few sprays....wont have the lasting effect you get when you turn one inside out with the rifle in your front yard. Made that mistake before...nobody was happy...

Angus Cowman":1scmov5m said:
dun":1scmov5m said:
Angus Cowman":1scmov5m said:
DUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
come get your skunk he showed up here tonite and sprayed the dogs

That ex-wife of mine sure does get around!

Dun that wasn't nice probably true but not nice I didn't know we had the same ex!

She really got aorund becuase I think a lot of us have the same ex

cfpinz":1gs7ight said:
Train":1gs7ight said:
Once their caught I relocate them. To a large tub filled with water.

You get my vote for Humanitarian of the Year!

It sounds a might cruel but I've tried the exhaust thing and after 45 minutes I don't think the darn thing had so much as a headache. And really, do you think dying from poison is any better?

Train":j6cljh8w said:
And really, do you think dying from poison is any better?

Death from poison would be the worst in my book, what a horrible way to go. Your water dunk is probably one of the most humane methods of disposal, but I'd most likely pop them with a 22 short.

My Grandpa used to keep a 55 gal drum in the feed room. He'd put a foot or so of water in the bottom and lay a 2x4 across the open top. Hang a piece of wire in the middle of the 2x4 down in the barrel a foot or so and put a piece of wood on it with peanut butter smeared on it. Pretty smart if you ask me.

I'm assuming your talking about rats or mice. I've never tried it but but always wanted to for mice.(We don't have rats) Not only sounds smart but a cheap way to control them as well. Especially somewhere like in a feed room or grainery.

I know someone in the city who kills squirrels with dry ice... traps them and then puts them in a tupperware box with dry ice (CO2) and closes the lid. She says it doesn't take long.

Not sure I'd want to try that with a skunk though; what if they spray while being transferred, or get out before you can close the box.... LOL. :shock:

milkmaid":3lmrvpx3 said:
I know someone in the city who kills squirrels with dry ice... traps them and then puts them in a tupperware box with dry ice (CO2) and closes the lid. She says it doesn't take long.

Not sure I'd want to try that with a skunk though; what if they spray while being transferred, or get out before you can close the box.... LOL. :shock:

That soudns a bit odd to me.... Why bother? shoot them if they are that bad.

Not really allowed to shoot guns inside the real city where houses are only a few feet apart.

milkmaid":1nxidf8s said:
Not really allowed to shoot guns inside the real city where houses are only a few feet apart.

A pellet gun would even do the trick. Or a hammer or club of some sort. Seems wierd to me to spend your time suffocating squirrels with dry ice.

CattleHand":1gwbwqrp said:
Seems wierd to me to spend your time suffocating squirrels with dry ice.

Me too, but it seems wierd to me that people actually eat vegetables instead of meat

dun":1sy1f5e3 said:
Will warfarin (rat poison) kill skunks?

yes I think it will, we found a dead one last year and had put lots of rat poison out...thats what we think killed it. we also killed several large 7 baby rats. We put the bait in the barn and at that time had a racoon problem also, they were attracted by the feed/seed being drug about by the racoons. Since then we have new feed boxes and the problem is gone*thankfully*...so I guess I'm suggesting you bait them to the poison.

Temik would be my poison of choice but like all poisons, leg traps or snares they are nonselective and you could easily kill something you did not intend to. That's why I would only use poison as a last resort. The Have-a-Heart trap sounds like the safest option you have if you value your sleep. I used to catch skunks in homemade box traps. This would work good and they are cheap to make. The smell will normally alert you that you don't have a rabbit but whatever you do, don't get a point blank shot from a skunk. Its an unforgettable experience. To remedy this, I started putting mesh wire on the closed end rather than wood. This way I could see the beady little eyes of the stinking little varmints before they could bushwhack me.

I can remember my Grandfather telling me about how he used to trap skunks and sell their hides when he was young. Said he held them under water to skin them.

we use a home made live trap with 30 foot rop attached to it. You see the skunk in it grab the rope and drag it far away down wind of your place then we had the door made that it opened to the outside and to open it lal you ahd to do was roll the trap on its top then the two washers that slide on the side of the doors and on bars mounted at the front of the cage slide down and the door falls open then the skunk walks out and you shoot it. o you ahve to have a long rope on the side also so that you can roll it over some how. Hope that makes sence il try explain the door some more. Its got a bar on each side of the cage with no mesh attached but close enough to the side that nothing can get out. Then the door is made of metal rods with small square mesh on the front. you have to weld the rods to the door and to the sides with the washer on. Use a big enough washer on each side that when the washer is at the top the door can be open and so that when the washer is at the bottom the door os closed and the washer isnt to big that they can push on the door and sneek through. Then the rest of the trap is made out of the metal rods adn the small square chicken mesh. the other thing is you ahve to rig it so that the door will stay open but when they step on the trip pan with the bait behind it the door will close. Several ways to do it so be creative. Same trap ca nbe made out of palywood with a few changes to the door. hope that helps.

Latest posts