Skin problems

Help Support CattleToday:

doolittleranch

Reaction score
I have a cow that has the hide falling off of her shoulders and back. It started as a small cut that we thought she got from the fence. But now it is spreading all over her back and shoulders. Anyone have any idea what this is?

I would guess magets. We had cow about 8 years ago get a spot on her hip dont know if she got a horn fighting or layed on a stob but it was kinda like a cut or a hole in her side. Anyway the spot started gettin bigger and the hair around it was fallen off, we didnt relly worry bout it because the sore was about heeled up and she was acting fine. Then the spot of hair missin started gettin bigger so we got her up and the magets were under her hide. The hide was just peelin back so we cut the dead hide off and got all the magets out then sprayed blue lotion on her for a week or so. She was fine in a month or two but the hair never came back.

I would get her up and look at her ASAP!!!

You need to actually have a veterinarian look at this.

If it was your dog would you have waited this long?

I am fairly certain this infection is being worsened by flies and the cow licking it over the shoulder.

It sounds like a real potential for gamgrene.

Doctor her soon or shoot her.

Bez+

Thanks everyone for your feedback. We did call the vet right away when we first noticed the cut. He said to put fly powder on it and just watch it. So when we noticed it spreading we called the vet again. Again we were told just to watch it. The cow is otherwise healthy, she eats fine and doesn't seem to be in any pain. We don't believe it to be anything contagious, as the rest of our herd is fine. We are now waiting for the vet to come and check her out. The area now has a hard scab over it. I'll let you know what the vet says.

Latest posts