Skateboarders

Help Support CattleToday:

fit2btied

Reaction score
Our church has had to replace the outdoor carpet on the porch and wheelchair ramp three times in the past five years due to skateboarders. The glue comes loose and then the carpet tears and people using walkers can't get up it safely so it must be replaced. We have repeatedly asked them not to ride on the carpet to no avail. We just recently discovered they had shoved the central air units back against the building so they could jump on and slide down the pipe railing around it. After moving them back twice, we decided to cut the rails off and just left the posts. Last week our pastor was having a BBQ and while on his patio, heard the kids on the ramp again. He went over and asked them nicely to please not ride on the carpet because of the damage it does and safety issues it creates. This is the response he received, "OK, whatever. By the way, who the #!@& was the &$@ that cut our jumpin rails down? And it wasn't us anyway, it's that snotnosed readheaded A$@H!&#% up the street! Needless to say, they were asked to stay off the church property and if they did not, police reports would be filed. Now we await the editorial letters that their parents will put in the local paper telling the community about how the "Christians" treated their children. They will only tell part of the story. Oh well, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Most kids today are great kids! It's only a few who typically have lousy or for all intents and purposes, no parents, that get all the attention.

I think that you aren't alone. Skaters and skate boarding are a problem all over. I have seen sighs at the post office, the grocery store, schools... I can only imagine what they do to the churches and stores. I have nearly run over one of them. They were riding next to a very busy street in Cleburne, and one of them just flew off the sidewalk and into traffic. Half the time, they look like they are homeless. I see them out in winter when it is cold wearing no jacket, no socks. I know it is a fashion statement but they arent' making friends in the little towns.

If the parents complain, they should be reminded that it is their job to know where their kids are, that destruction of private property is against the law, and that they can be held liable for the damage of of their little darlins caused. I bet that it would only take one parent out on one weekend repairing damage to halt this behavior. I don't know why parents aren't on this anyway.

Ask your local police to cruise by there a little more often. Their presence will cut down on this sort of thing.

Put the rails back up, and coat them with axle grease. :lol:

Just make sure there is a No Trespassing sign somewhere.

Come on, there are bad kids in everything, but there are a lot of good kids out there. On one hand we complain about the kids doing nothing but sitting in front of the TV or video games, we then can't complain about kids being out on skateboards, or bikes, or whatever. Problem with the small towns is they don't have a "skate park" or a "bike park" or a "bike path".... so they use the curbs, or a railing.... or whatever. Obviously we don't want any destruction of property under any circumstances.... Or for that matter no disrespect to any individual. Most kids just want something to do.... it's us as parents to put a little effort into their "do" whatever the "do" may be. I always thought part of being a christian is to help others.... maybe the help here with the church is to get those kids together and see what would work for them. They were wrong with their "mouth" and their "destruction".... but they were being told once again.... "not here"....

Sorry if I dragged on, and this is only my opinion....which is very generalist.

Michele

mitchwi":1n4tjuc9 said:
Come on, there are bad kids in everything, but there are a lot of good kids out there. On one hand we complain about the kids doing nothing but sitting in front of the TV or video games, we then can't complain about kids being out on skateboards, or bikes, or whatever. Problem with the small towns is they don't have a "skate park" or a "bike park" or a "bike path".... so they use the curbs, or a railing.... or whatever. Obviously we don't want any destruction of property under any circumstances.... Or for that matter no disrespect to any individual. Most kids just want something to do.... it's us as parents to put a little effort into their "do" whatever the "do" may be. I always thought part of being a christian is to help others.... maybe the help here with the church is to get those kids together and see what would work for them. They were wrong with their "mouth" and their "destruction".... but they were being told once again.... "not here"....

Michele

Well Michele, (sigh), times...they are a'changin. If those little B#@$%#@ had some chores to do around the place, they would not have time to get in much trouble! Also, they obviously have not been taught to have respect for the property of others or for their elders! They don't need understanding...they need some good old-fashioned discipline!

:mad: :cboy: :idea:

mitchwi":h8qlbvlg said:
On one hand we complain about the kids doing nothing but sitting in front of the TV or video games, we then can't complain about kids being out on skateboards, or bikes, or whatever.

Michele

Yes, we can complain, if they are destroying other people's property.

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":2effcizm said:
mitchwi":2effcizm said:

Michele

Well Michele, (sigh), times...they are a'changin. If those little B#@$%#@ had some chores to do around the place, they would not have time to get in much trouble! Also, they obviously have not been taught to have respect for the property of others or for their elders! They don't need understanding...they need some good old-fashioned discipline!

Well said!!!!

You know, the church folks could get these kids and their parents together, set up some sort of fundraiser and use the money raised to build them a skateboarding ramp of their own.

Two problems solved, church ramp stays safe for the elderly folk and the kids get a place to skate with out vandalizing the church.
My guess is the town council may even chip in.

mitchwi":338fqnqt said:
Most kids just want something to do.... it's us as parents to put a little effort into their "do" whatever the "do" may be.

Michele

Some parents need to put a little "effort" into teaching their kids right from wrong. Don't get me wrong, I love kids. Have two fine sons and two beautiful grandsons myself. And I believe most kids are decent, but I'm getting tired of people (young and old) using boredom as an excuse for bad behaviour.
Yes, kids should have fun. Sadly, there are way too many out there in situations where they can't. But they need to learn to put some effort into it themselves, not have everything handed to them. Having fun should be a prt of growing up, but it's not an entitlement.

mitchwi":3umzg72z said:

Michele
Yea I guess your right, it's our fault. We all should be ashamed to expect today's youth to respect anything other than their every desire. I hope every one of you sorry sun a of a guns pray for forgiveness. I know I will. :roll:

certherfbeef":2v5cg9bq said:
You know, the church folks could get these kids and their parents together, set up some sort of fundraiser and use the money raised to build them a skateboarding ramp of their own.

Good idea! Raise some money to build a ramp. Can be done fairly cheaply with a little plywood and a few boards. But the kids should have a big hand in building it. They should learn to be constructive, not destructive.

certherfbeef":128131a7 said:

Two problems solved, church ramp stays safe for the elderly folk and the kids get a place to skate with out vandalizing the church.
My guess is the town council may even chip in.

That's a good idea. Our local school keeps the gym open during the weekends and summer for public use. We figure that the people's tax money paid for it, so the people should get to use it. It's pretty much a "use at your own risk" type thing. You would be surprised how well people tend to keep it up.

We've been through all of the skateboard crapola here. I hate to be contrary but there are no easy answers. Most private insurance companies won't touch a project like this. If you want to build something for skateboards/rollerblades, try to get the town to do it and have the local folks and the kids who will use it contribute or raise the money to pay for it. I would also suggest not putting up any home built ramps for them. There are companies who build engineered ramps for that purpose and they have some of the liability if they fail. They cost more but you don't want to be the guy who built the ramp if it breaks or if Little Johnny forgets his helmet and spills his gray matter on your property. It's a lawyers paradise that can cost an individual, an organization or a church everything they have.

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":2ahhyilz said:
times...they are a'changin.

them kids are lucky times are changing because when I was young...if we even spoke in sunday school when we wasn't supposed to...our pastor wouldn't think twice about giving us a pretty good whoopin'...I remember one time in Sunday school...I started thinking about something funny that happened the night before...and of course I laughed...and our pastor put a switch across my behind...I can't imagine what would have happened if I would have broken some of the churches property and cussed him out :shock:

Tod Dague":gs8hq1dp said:
mitchwi":gs8hq1dp said:

Michele
Yea I guess your right, it's our fault. We all should be ashamed to expect today's youth to respect anything other than their every desire. I hope every one of you sorry sun a of a guns pray for forgiveness. I know I will. :roll:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

A little more insight as to how understanding the city council would be. Our church property sits on the corner of the city park which is 5 or 6 blocks long and 2 blocks wide, includes the municipal pool, tennis courts, a gazebo, 4 huge picnic pavillions, and all kinds of playground equipment. Because of problems and damage caused by skaters and boarders, there is a city ordinance banning all skates and skateboards from the park and all city sidewalks. This town would not even consider a skate park because of the liability factor and the atmosphere associated with the typical users. Some of these kids' parents are probably hoping their kid gets hurt and will be first in line to file a lawsuit. Another town 10 miles away built a waterpark and closed their city swimming pool. They converted the pool to a professionally done skate park. You cannot take your young kids or grandkids to use it because of the filthy language, fights, alcohol and drugs. And this park adjoins the city's Police Station! By the way, we have invited these kids to church. They have no desire to come to any church functions. We have tried to meet with their parents but they have nothing to discuss with 'a bunch of hypocrites'. Most of these kids might turn out OK if you could only slap the daylights out of their parents! :shock: :lol: Our pastor said, "When it happened, the spirit of slap came over me and I just had to keep saying to myself, "I'm the preacher, not a dad, not a grandpa, not the old man on the corner. I'm the preacher..."

cfpinz":1etlp6sm said:
Put the rails back up, and coat them with axle grease. :lol:

Just make sure there is a No Trespassing sign somewhere.

I like the axle grease idea but I'm not sure how the 'No Trespassing' signs would affect attendance! :D

Well, it sounds like you have done everything you could do. I don't understand why parents let their kids get away with that kind of behavior. I might not know about it right away, but when I did find out, well, my kids know what would happen to them. I could ask them right now and they could tell me.

I see this over and over again. Parents do not give their children a blueprint on how to act and a set of clearly defined consequences for their actions. Then when they get into trouble, it is "what have I done wrong? Where did I fail as a parent?"

I have relatives I seldom visit because of their's children's behaviors. Kids are going to get into mischief, but when a two year old walks up to you and spits on you! SPITS! There is something serioiusly wrong there. Especially when no one yanks that kid up and spanks them, or does anything but tell you that "he just does that". It was Jerry Springer in that house.

Oh goodness, I have gotten started! :( When my kids were little, and we would see a kid in a store having a tantrum, I used to hug my kids and tell them thank you for behaving themselves and making me proud.

Tod Dague":3m54pzsl said:
mitchwi":3m54pzsl said:

Michele

My response was not to condone any of their behavior, and I agree with kids needing chores and responsibiity and respect to others and property ..... AND I honestly believe that the great majority of people on these boards brought their kids up right.

All I know is that sometimes the more concientious and caring of individuals are that way for a reason, and it is usually through these types of individuals that we can sometimes impact a young adult/teen/child through teaching them what is right.... because everyone on here knows that there are parents that are not teaching.... kids learn through what they experience, they are all born good and kind... it is what happens after birth that molds them.

My original post was very general.... It is easy for us (me too)to complain, it just came down to me wanting to say that... maybe there's an alternative, maybe the kids would appreciate and respect a little help, and by no-means did I think anything should be handed to them.... they should work towards something they want also.

Nothing is every appreciated by gift, only effort will breed the appreciation.

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":eyzw655r said:
[Well Michele, (sigh), times...they are a'changin. If those little B#@$%#@ had some chores to do around the place, they would not have time to get in much trouble! Also, they obviously have not been taught to have respect for the property of others or for their elders! They don't need understanding...they need some good old-fashioned discipline!

Believe me I honestly believe kids should have a bit of instilled fear in them, fear of what their parents would think of their actions and/or fear of the consequences. If I found out a child of mine had spoken to an adult like what was described, they would be able to pick their teeth back up in the next week, I should also say, right after they went and apologized.

Latest posts