Sitz Upward 307r

Help Support CattleToday:

sizmic

Reaction score
Anybody on here use him? I am using him this year on a few cows, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sizmic

I havent used him but went to upercumberland sale yesterday they had 4 or 5 weanling heifers sold for probably a 2200 average did really well. bred heifer out of him bred to Timeless fall calver brougt 4200. They say you cant get semen right now if i could find some with those prices may try to use him.

Semen has been available for a little while, month or so. He had some serious problems.

Sizmic

Thanks for the info. Makes me glad to be using him, to here those prices.

Sizmic

With his "numbers"-Milk +44, EN$ -$33.22, MW +78, MH +.9-- (if they are anywhere close to being correct)- I would have to consider the bull a terminal sire and definitely wouldn't keep any daughters because of the knowledge that those types historically haven't been able to stay in the herd with our enviroment/management practices.....

The most overated bull on the market today, they can be too big, too little, all across the board.

I spoke with a repeat bull customer this spring - he wasn't interested this year - till he found out I had one by Upward. He drove down and bought him. It was a nice bull too - he wasn't just buying a name.

I saw some exceptional bull calves from him. Naturally they were from a really good herd just north of Sacramento, CA, but they were exceptionally nice.

At $40 with 60% conception rate, the semen is a little high for me. And with his milk and $EN, he is surely a terminal sire. Looks like a son of his would add grow to your herd. He surely seems to have the growth.

we have used a bunch of him over the last couple of years. The first year i used him, i didn't like the calves much at all at one to two months of age. So i didnt use him again. then we weaned the calves and they were some of our best. So we went back to using him. They are born really long and lanky and lighter boned, the older they get the better they get. They can be a little bigger framed and some will have a higher tailhead set than i like but overall they are very solid calves. They are also really easy to market, which is a huge plus.

So your oldest are yearlings? Have you bred the heifers yet (if you kept any)? How was fertility? If you have calved his daughters, what are they like as mothers? Udders?

Saturday I saw 6 yearling heifers out of him. Very nice looking heifers. They were used as "models" in a class we had through our local association on picking replacement heifers. The breeder seemed to be high on them. Myself.....I would like to see some balancers out of him :)

i know this is kind of out of date but i just found this topic and i have to say that is one nice bull! our first bull that we started out with was a half brother to him (same sire) and his daughters were nice! we purchased a couple daughters of sitz when were beginning as well, we line bred them to their uncle and those were some nice bull calves out of that mating.

i know this is a little late on the response time, but our females are wonderfull out of him. fertility seems to be great, small udders with a great shape to them. I am very excited about the one we kept as replacements.

trouble3412":1x01sho8 said:
i know this is a little late on the response time, but our females are wonderfull out of him. fertility seems to be great, small udders with a great shape to them. I am very excited about the one we kept as replacements.
where are you located?

longhornlover3498":2h4b3hxc said:
trouble3412":2h4b3hxc said:
where are you located?
Put your own location in first.
Mattew 7:3

ANAZAZI":38u5b16h said:
longhornlover3498":38u5b16h said:
trouble3412":38u5b16h said:
where are you located?
Put your own location in first.
Mattew 7:3
montana. the state upward currently resides.

Thought that I would bring this bull back up to the top. I really like the looks of this bull for putting pounds on next years calf crop, Long and thick. Anyone have any replacement heifers that they retained from Sitz Upward? What size of heifer did you end up with?

I posted early in this thread, for me im glad I didn't come up with semen. I bought 2 cows with Upward heifers on them, there 4 yr olds weaning 2nd calf, I don't like one thing about them. Breed late, all leg no body to them, calves just don't perform, I don't even turn in data on them, just commercial to me and on a very short list.

Latest posts