Singing the moving blues

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
Not because I'll miss this place, but all this packing and sorting.

My wife and I have moved many times. The last time I moved myself was leaving college. We have moved a lot. The crew would move in. Pack it. Another crew would roll in with their big trucks. Yes plural.

We have boxes that haven't been opened for two or three moves, maybe more.

I ain't moving all this crap.

I hauled one load back to Arkansas already. One more to go.

I am having an estate sale August 21st and that weekend. The trailer rolls out that same day. These guys are doing the sale. http://www.estatesales.net/companies/NC ... 7604/18581

Then these guys roll in that Monday to take what did not sell. http://guardianangelthrift.org/

Then the maid shows up to clean the place.

The house closes August 28th, and I am not here then, or the week prior. I sure hope all these people do what they said.

I did get an unexpected surprise. I told my boss about my move. He asked me to stay on until Q2 16, and then we would see where we are.

That keeps me flush income wise, but I'll be traveling. I will be paying someone to do what I was going to do myself. Fencing and facilities and such to prep for cattle. This gives me a jump start, should be faster than lonesome me doing most of it. I expect the quality will be a few notches better too. :cowboy:

My wife has been back now for almost 3 months now. Working at the bank, and now starting on the house. We got a good contractor starting next week, (I hope).

We are not getting back too soon either, Dad was diagnosed with Pulmonary fibrosis a week ago. Two to three packs a day for 60 years. Both of my parents are 78. Getting back to them is a big part of the move.

Sorry for the lament. I sat down to rest a spell, and well, you see what spilled out.

We've only moved once, and my wife says never again. Moving is a lot of work, and very stressful. Good luck with it.

I've helped several move, can't say I've ever moved since I got married. Seems like it would be helpful to cut down on clutter.

we have been married 11 years and have moved 11 times. 3 states. The house we are in now is the longest we had with a 3 year stay at it. We are trying to buy another place now and i told her this is it, i hope. We will see.

This got me to thinking. Got married and moved into an apartment, shortly after bought a house. Lived there a couple of eyars and moved, a couple of years after that moved to Washington. Rented an apartment for a couple of motnhs then bought a house. A couple of years later we moved to the desert in california. Lived in a travle trailer for a couple of months, then into base houseing then bousght a house. A couple of years later we moved to central cal, rented a house for a while then bought a place and moved. A couple of years later moved back to the desert, lived in base housing for a while then bought a house. LIved there almost 12 years then moved to MO. Rented a house for a while, bought ahouse and a couple of years leter bought the one we are in now. Been in this one for almost 15 years now. I'm to tired to try to count out how many moves that is, but it's way too many. That's why I'm DUNMOVIN!

I don't ever plan on moving again. Your new venture sounds great apart from the moving part. Just couldn't do that again. If I was forced to I think I might put a match to it all.

I am in almost the same exact boat, HDRider. We're just a little further out on the move date than you are but close enough to it that things are getting stressful.
We moved about four years ago but it was only 100 yards through an orchard so we didn't bother to pack anything and just restacked ten years worth of stuff in a different barn so this time we have some cleanup to do. A lot of it is useable stuff too but it really has to be something we use all the time or irreplaceable to make it worth hauling half way across the country.

It's amazing how much stuff you can accumulate, I'd call it junk but if you get rid of it you'll need it shortly. When we moved we left all the furniture and appliances, and just bought all new stuff. Figured it would outlast me, but I was wrong. We've already needed a new washing machine and refrigerator.

Talked to a fellow once that moved 22 times in 45 years with his job. He said that he got it down to an art. He would get 4500 size u haul and a roll off dumpster. In one day he could have the u haul and dumpster full. Moving that many times seems like just a few steps out of he!! To me. The next move I intend to make is to the nursing home.

Not only will I not move I won't move new furniture in or out. I told my wife if she buys something to buy delivered and pay them to take out what it's replacing.

HD glad your coming back to Gods Country.

jedstivers":24im3kc0 said:
Not only will I not move I won't move new furniture in or out. I told my wife if she buys something to buy delivered and pay them to take out what it's replacing.

We just bought a new mattress , lovely bride says "shall we take the Dodge and haul it home"? He77 no! They will deliver it free, set it up and haul way the old one for NOTHING!!

By the way new mattresses aren't cheap. But you if you spend 1/3 of your life there you should have a good one.

jedstivers":1meufkfw said:

Thanks Jed. Can't wait....

I moved many times as a kid and hated it. I have move 4 times as an adult and do not plan on moving again.. I HATE HATE HATE moving. Good Luck HD moving is stressful.

We're considering selling and moving right now. Got a very good offer on the place but just not sure about it. Really would like to move a bit closer to town as we get older but absolutely won't be moving to a subdivision. Probably be my last move. If we do you can bet your last dollar a moving company will do all the packing, hauling, and unloading.

After reading this thread, I consider myself fortunate that I have lived in the same house and never moved in all of my 53 years :oops: The only exception being staying in town during the school year for high school.

I've sold the place but have it in my contract that I can continue to live here as long as I wish. I admit it would be nice to be in town during winter. At some point I will likely have to move closer to my drs. But for now I hope I can stay here until I assume room temperature :p

I've moved frequently in my years, sometimes coast to coast and at least twice to a foreign country and back home again.
The best move was "leaving Louisiana in the broad daylight" for Tom Green County Texas, and even tho I am now back home on the land I grew up on, I may yet again move west accross the Concho and back to Terra Sancta.
Good luck with your endeavors HD!!!!

Just recalled that I missed some moves buthey were minor. When I married the ex we lived in a couple of different apartments in sandiego then moved to a couple of different apartments in norfolk then I moved by myself back to california.

Latest posts