Simmental cows

Help Support CattleToday:

cattlepower

Reaction score
I've got a chance to buy some good Simmental cows and I was thinking of putting a good Angus bull on them. Anyone on here run these Sim-Angus cattle and how have they performed?

Thanks

i run char cows with an angus bull and love the calves but i am thinking of running a simmi bull with my angus cows that is whats hot right now the simangus David

I have some Simmental cross with Limo cows with an Angus bull Great calves I've had Simmental cattle off and on since 1975. Always been happy with them
Bluegoose1

We use simmental cows with angus bulls and commerial angus cows with simmental bulls, and many time they do better than any of our PB simmentals on PB Angus. I guess that's how it suppose to work. I think it gives the angus more bone and width. The simmentals it gives them more depth of rib. Just my thoughts. What breeding are the simmentals? and what were you thinking on the Bulls?

I have 1/2 sim. to full sim cows I breed with ang bulls and the calves have always turn out real nice.
A lot of people over look the simmys and go for others to cross with but I have seen many sim cross animals at shows that beat the pure breeds by a long shot.

I think ( I shouldnt say this but I believe it to be true ) that you would get more calf pounds by using the british-continental cross that with the Hereford-Angus cross. But there are alot more factors than that. You need to decide what will work for you.

JHH":3am2s9ae said:
I think ( I shouldnt say this but I believe it to be true ) that you would get more calf pounds by using the british-continental cross that with the Hereford-Angus cross. But there are alot more factors than that. You need to decide what will work for you.

I want to make sure I'm reading this right. You think I would get more calf lbs. by going Sim-Angus rather than Hereford/Angus, right?

cattlepower":iw0b8a72 said:
JHH":iw0b8a72 said:

I want to make sure I'm reading this right. You think I would get more calf lbs. by going Sim-Angus rather than Hereford/Angus, right?
That's probably correct since you woulld be crossing continental british rather then british british

Guy I know in my area runs his registered Sim cows on a registered Angus bulls. those girls put out some REALLY nice looking calves. I was super impressed with them..

My first experience standing next to a Sim cow..pretty sureal in how big some of them truly are(width AND height!)..well, at least compared with my cattle.

spinandslide":1o2bdepy said:
Guy I know in my area runs his registered Sim cows on a registered Angus bulls. those girls put out some REALLY nice looking calves. I was super impressed with them..

My first experience standing next to a Sim cow..pretty sureal in how big some of them truly are(width AND height!)..well, at least compared with my cattle.

I don't really want huge cows though as that offsets the lbs. I gain on my calves with their momma's intake, I think. I really would like 1200-1300 lb. cows that wean a 600 lb. calf.

No simangus here, I've used Belgianbleu, Maine anjou and Pimonthese bulls (all double muscled) on my simmentalcows.
Never a calvingproblem and always very heavy weaning weights.
Second half of march I hope to get a parthenaise calf from a simmicow an also a few salers out of simmicows.
I'm thinking of buying a angus bull next year to use on my simmi's and simmicrosses to get a little less different colors
on my calves. I also have some salercows, does anyone have experience with salers x angus ?

Gr. DC.

cattlepower":1i62bas3 said:
spinandslide":1i62bas3 said:

I don't really want huge cows though as that offsets the lbs. I gain on my calves with their momma's intake, I think. I really would like 1200-1300 lb. cows that wean a 600 lb. calf.

We run a lot of sim-angus cows in the commercial herd. Good cows, it's a nice complimentary cross. (We typically use a Charolais bull as the terminal sire over the top of our red F1 cows.) It has taken some time to weed out the older style monstrous Simmental cows. I doubt we have too many mature cows in the 12-1300 lb range though. There are quite a few of our moderate, thick cows that tip the scales at 1400 plus. That isn't a reflection of frame score, but more the overall body mass. They're good cows for us, in our environment.

You state a weaning weight goal, but not a days to weaning interval that you have in mind. Do you know what you would like your calving dates and sale dates to be?

cattlepower":3ltwvkk1 said:
I've also considered Herefords and wonder if the Sim-Angus X would be better than the Hereford & Angus X?

Use the hereford bull on the sim angus cross cows. Actually, if it were me, I'd go with the hereford simi cross cow with an angus bull.

One of the best cows I've owned was a Sim cross. I like that breed almost as much as Red Angus. If Simmentals could marble as well as Red Angus on a consistent basis I would raise them. I wish I could find a Simbrah that I liked, then I'd probably just raise replacements.

Latest posts