Simmental Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady

Reaction score
I know this isn't the greatest picture.. but lets hear your opinions on this bull! He's a Simmental, born 8-02-05. Want to know what you think his potential would be on a commercial herd. Go ahead.. I'm thick skinned! :cboy:

629eb09b.jpg

Well, he's black. :)

Seriously, though, has he been on feed? What does he weigh? Birthweight? 205-day weight? Does he have any contemporaries? I generally don't pay a lot of attention to pictures because they can be either good or not, but I'd say no, or at least want to wait until he's older before I'd decide to use him as a breeding bull.

Is the picture of him current? He would be almost exactly 8 months old in the Picture? Bottom of picture is messed up for me can not see the date it was taken or his feet.

I think there is some potential there personally from what I can tell from picture. Like to see his head down lower and not eating a pringle :) . From this picture I think he has some length, nice top, can not tell much for the rear due to legs not being set very good, looks like he might be a little lacking back there but with leg so far forward maybe it is optical illusion. Can not tell much about the front either with his head up eating that pringle :D

Would like to see more pictures of him standing better and from behind. I would not knock him to hard for being black ;-)

Is the picture taken on your place or someone elses?
That white water tower/smokestack in the background looks very familiar?

mom

Is that date April 3, 2006?

If it is, I should think that he should be heavier at this age. Remember, we are judging a Simmental and they are a heavy hindquartered breed and with adequate fullness in the heart girth. This attractive guy lacks the fullness in the hindquarter that you should expect at this age, and he is definitely sque-e-ezed in the heart girth.

The cute pose is unique, but it certainly places him in a disadvantageous position to be able to analyze his phenotype! And that "Twinkie" won't improve his $B Value at all! In order to expect qualitative opinions you should make every effort to present GOOD picture(S). Note I stressed more than one picture. It does an animal an injustice to have a side view that is questionable at best, and NO rear view and also no TOP view. I know that it is difficult to get what you need, but stand up on top of your pickup's cab roof to get a top view, or maybe use a telephoto lense for a good set of pictures if they are camera shy!

I would hesitate to make much of a judgement on this calf until he shows some masculinity, and gives you a better indication of his potential. There are too many darned good bull calves out there to use one that is not the best you can find for your circumstances. A VERY GOOD BULL is one half of your herd and a VERY POOR BULL is your ENTIRE HERD for several years, and he might bankrupt you in the process! :shock: :help:

DOC HARRIS

aplusmnt":11aoqfv9 said:
Is the picture of him current? He would be almost exactly 8 months old in the Picture? Bottom of picture is messed up for me can not see the date it was taken or his feet.

I think there is some potential there personally from what I can tell from picture. Like to see his head down lower and not eating a pringle :) . From this picture I think he has some length, nice top, can not tell much for the rear due to legs not being set very good, looks like he might be a little lacking back there but with leg so far forward maybe it is optical illusion. Can not tell much about the front either with his head up eating that pringle :D

Would like to see more pictures of him standing better and from behind. I would not knock him to hard for being black ;-)
I agree. He does have way too much sheath for a Simmental. And without a weight, or other pics, that's about all I could say about him.

Alright.. I've been suitably reprimanded. I'll try for more pictures this weekend. BTW.. he's not eating a Pringle..that's a piece of paper being waved to get his head up.. of course, didn't want it to work THAT well.

He's a bull out of my herd, not one I'm going to use. I have an older man who's interested in using him on some Angus cross cows. I've always liked this bull because he's really square hipped and thick, and has a nice topline.

i could live with everything except that pesky simmental butt. Doc says the simmental breed is known for having a nice a double ess. but i havent seen one yet. show me.

Beefy":j5juooqr said:
i could live with everything except that pesky simmental butt. Doc says the simmental breed is known for having a nice a double ess. but i havent seen one yet. show me.
Beefy- Perhaps I should qualify my statement regarding the Simmental breed's hindquarters. Generally, they have more well-developed hindquarters, as across-the-board breed representatives than some other beef breeds display, - - - some Angus, for example, as has been pictured on this very forum - - and recently, too!

DOC HARRIS

Beefy":3cyy9cp5 said:

Macho_19A_pixel.JPG

aplusmnt":2y3g03ak said:
Beefy":2y3g03ak said:

Macho_19A_pixel.JPG

Now that is a butt! That dude is thick with all capital letters.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":f4r3m8nx said:
Well thank you Cypressfarm - Seems as though Aplusmnt's been sneeking around & taking care of things while I've been busy. That's a pasture rear shot of Macho, my bull.

I was a little scared I might get busted for plagiarism or using a copy-written picture but Macho was who came to mind when a Simmental butt came in question.

Macho was 20 months old in the pasture pics (like my avatar).
He's 3 1/2 now. Dave at Dependabull called me Tuesday & said he collected him that day - got enough for 470 units in one collection. :shock: Dave was VERY impressed.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":15l7no7o said:
You can use his picture any day - also his semen if you have a mind to :D oops better be careful - don't want to advertise!

Aplus, I would be more than happy to buy any semen that you PERSONALLY collected from the bull out in the pasture. That is if it's o.k. with Jeanne. Ofcourse we would ask Jeanne to take pictures of the whole episode ;-)

BullLady - if the calf has received nourishment (adequate milk & grass) to reach his full potential growth (not get FAT) you should be able to see how good or how bad he should mature out to be. No, the muscling will not be as developed as it will be at 20 months old.

Latest posts