Sickle bar blade

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Just a quick question to those that have been doing this a while - how long do your sickle bar blades last you?

I have a 7' NH sickle, and have been let down by how quickly it dulls. Do you just put on new teeth, or buy a whole new blade? Do you sharpen? I have done all of the above. Maybe I am doing something wrong....I was wrong once before :help:

100 - 150 acres, depends on what your cutting. Stalkier grasses cut easier than fine bermudas. Sandy soil eats the blades up faster too. Used to buy a whole new blade each season. Now that they are about $100 more than they used to be, I'm pulling the old ones out of the rafters of the shop and putting on new teeth.

1982vett":3jokpajb said:
100 - 150 acres, depends on what your cutting. Stalkier grasses cut easier than fine bermudas. Sandy soil eats the blades up faster too. Used to buy a whole new blade each season. Now that they are about $100 more than they used to be, I'm pulling the old ones out of the rafters of the shop and putting on new teeth.

Thanks - thanks very much! I've been buying a new blade every year, and thats about how much I've been getting outta it. Ah well, I feel better hearing it from someone else.

You said NH. Is it a 451? Dad did custom baling (small squares) for 30+ years. We would average 17 to 25k bales each year depending on the weather. The last several years we had a NH 451 7', we would change the cutting bar every couple of days that's if we made it that long without breaking a section/tooth (rocky here). To keep the mower in top cutting form we would sharpen the dull sections. It is just a matter of putting an edge back on the section. Only thing to avoid is do not grind the section to a point. When it gets to a point, just replace the section with a new one. They just rivet on with soft rivets. I changed lots of sections in the field with tools we carried on the tractor. To replace the bar when it gets dull? WOW!

MosesR":3v42orj2 said:
You said NH. Is it a 451? Dad did custom baling (small squares) for 30+ years. We would average 17 to 25k bales each year depending on the weather. The last several years we had a NH 451 7', we would change the cutting bar every couple of days that's if we made it that long without breaking a section/tooth (rocky here). To keep the mower in top cutting form we would sharpen the dull sections. It is just a matter of putting an edge back on the section. Only thing to avoid is do not grind the section to a point. When it gets to a point, just replace the section with a new one. They just rivet on with soft rivets. I changed lots of sections in the field with tools we carried on the tractor. To replace the bar when it gets dull? WOW!
Old school...bolt on rocks!!! :lol:

Latest posts