SICK JERSY CALF ABOUT 5.5 WEEKS OLD

Help Support CattleToday:

Milkman

Reaction score
DEPRESSED AND NOT EATING GRAIN SILL DRINKS MILK AND h2O FROM a bottel temp 101.6-102.3 heart and lungs sound good and clear no scours just real depressed rumen sounds ok I think ??? gave him a shoot of LA200 today 2 day of depresstion

weather is cold 15 lows and 25-30 highs Newark Ohio
last week he was eating about a 2-3 pounds of grain a day slowly taper off grain and was eating hay now he takes small bites of it and goes and lays down

any one got a clue ??

If he's got a "double-catch" in the diaphragm when he breathes (sort of looks like the flank moves in twice with respiration instead of once) then I'd sure be suspicious of respiratory infection. If so, would hit him up with a shot of Nuflor or likewise drug as soon as possible.

By depressed, do you mean head down, back hunched stance and ears drooping, or is he just a bit off his feed?

Sure hope he gets well soon.

Take care.

does not run up to you when u walk in to the barn have to help some times . head still up ears up not dehydrated I went to OSU ATI for dairy herd management and its got me baffeled(spelling not my subject) . just not his self like three days ago gave him antacid and LA 200 yesterday and today

does not run up to you when u walk in to the barn have to help some times . head still up ears up not dehydrated I went to OSU ATI for dairy herd management and its got me baffeled(spelling not my subject) . just not his self like three days ago gave him antacid and LA 200 yesterday and today

Probably a little out of left field here, but do you give your calves a shot of A,D,E and Selenium?

Is he consuming the same amount of milk he usually does, or has that slacked off as well as the grain/hay? If he's not drinking as much as usual, probably wouldn't hurt to tube him with some electrolytes mixed with warm water.

I'd definately give your vet a call in the morning, or else haul the little fella to see him if he gets worse.

Take care.

still drinks same amount of milk and I also gave him electrolytes tonight two hours before his milk no ADE shots will get it in the am

It sounds like he may have a little bit of a bug of some sort.
Sometimes these bottle calves do just what you are describing. I usually give them a round of Nuflor. I give a double dose that is good for 4 days and a powdered proboitic for the same 4 days. Usually that gets them pretty well back on track. Good luck Milkmaid

Latest posts