sick heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We've got a sick heifer, Rosie, who two days ago came down with some sort of respiratory disease. She has a runny nose, dripping really, and now it seems to have moved to her chest because today she's coughing. Southern States guy said to give her a one-shot broad spectrum antibiotic. Tetracycline I think. We're to give it sub-cu. Does this advice sound good? I'm for calling the vet but he seems to think this will knock it out without a problem. And by the way, isn't it odd that she got this diease? She's with only one other cow who is healthy. Nothing's come or gone from our farm, no other cows for miles around. No stress, no change in diet... I thought cows were tougher than this... specially longhorns!

rosie's mom":f7avhhf9 said:
We've got a sick heifer, Rosie, who two days ago came down with some sort of respiratory disease. She has a runny nose, dripping really, and now it seems to have moved to her chest because today she's coughing. Southern States guy said to give her a one-shot broad spectrum antibiotic. Tetracycline I think. We're to give it sub-cu. Does this advice sound good? I'm for calling the vet but he seems to think this will knock it out without a problem. And by the way, isn't it odd that she got this diease? She's with only one other cow who is healthy. Nothing's come or gone from our farm, no other cows for miles around. No stress, no change in diet... I thought cows were tougher than this... specially longhorns!

It sure wouldn't be my first choice for an antibiotic. I would use Nuflor or Baytril. But if you have confidence in the vets, go with his recommendation. Change of weather, dust, foreign matter, lots of things can cause respritory problems.

dun

J Baxter":14c8on5i said:
LA200. Next best thing to the pocket on a tee shirt.

LA-200 is what we gave her. She's already perking up and starting to be interested in eating. Boy you all are great! Thanks for the excellent advice!!

Latest posts