• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sick cow

tonyg

Reaction score
I have a 17 month-old Charolais heifer. I found her laying down yesterday and she acted like she couldn't get up. After a little while, she got up and I fed her, and she drank water. I gave her the recommended dose of LA300. Today I found her down again and she can't get up. She has a good appetite. She does not show any sign of injury and walked around good yesterday. Any ideas?

TCRanch

Reaction score
Is she already bred or could this be a possible breeding injury? It could be a number of things, most of which will not be cured by LA300 if she's down. I would definitely call your vet and provide him with all current vaccinations, mineral, what she's eating/grazing, whether she has a fever, and any other symptoms/observations. Is she in a pasture or confined area (barn, corral, etc)? Do you live in an area that's selenium deficient? Again keeping in mind there could be numerous reasons/causes, the only down cows I've had were from spinal injury/pinched nerve, either from being ridden or a hard pull during calving.

SIMMGAL

Reaction score
TCRanch":1mqvd1pz said:
Is she already bred or could this be a possible breeding injury? It could be a number of things, most of which will not be cured by LA300 if she's down. I would definitely call your vet and provide him with all current vaccinations, mineral, what she's eating/grazing, whether she has a fever, and any other symptoms/observations. Is she in a pasture or confined area (barn, corral, etc)? Do you live in an area that's selenium deficient? Again keeping in mind there could be numerous reasons/causes, the only down cows I've had were from spinal injury/pinched nerve, either from being ridden or a hard pull during calving.

X2. Vet would be your best bet!