sick calve

Help Support CattleToday:

Castleman Creek

Reaction score
Hello, I have a little one that has pnemonia, do you guys know what I could give it besides penicillin, duramicin, before I take it to a vet. It is at its early stages of it, the vet will be my last resort, but I would like to try something on my own. Does anyone know of any stronger medication I could use and be able to purchase myself. The calf is aweek old, and on a bottle.

thanks for any help, billy

The good stuff that you will need has to come from a vet. Anything from Nuflor on up would be my choice rather then dithering around with the OTC stuff. The longer you wait to get something serious into the calf the better the odds are of long term respritory problems.

dun":3mwmdy8i said:
The good stuff that you will need has to come from a vet. Anything from Nuflor on up would be my choice rather then dithering around with the OTC stuff. The longer you wait to get something serious into the calf the better the odds are of long term respritory problems.

true I lost a calf cause I couldn't find a vet to get good drugs from... do not wait and fool with OTC meds.

Castleman Creek":dvsfrgm1 said:
Hello, I have a little one that has pnemonia, do you guys know what I could give it besides penicillin, duramicin, before I take it to a vet. It is at its early stages of it, the vet will be my last resort, but I would like to try something on my own. Does anyone know of any stronger medication I could use and be able to purchase myself. The calf is aweek old, and on a bottle.

thanks for any help, billy

IF the VET is going to be your last resort you are going to have a lot of dead calves my friend. Why not use the vet and have them teach you what to look for and maybe he will give the proper meds under his guidance.

Pneumonia kills quick and will leave permanent damage if left too long.

I learned a valuable lesson now that I have a vet I bought Baytril, I will be buying Nuflor and Draxxin once the vet gets it in to have on hand. I don't want to play around with any sickness.

Hey guys, I talked to the guy that owns the dairy farm from which I purchased it from. He gave me some baytril, and I am now treating it with that, and it seems to be working. Im going to be visiting a vet, and see if I could purchase some off this myself, which im sure I can. Nuflor is one I will be asking about aswell.

Thanks,
Billy

its doing a lot better, running and jumping a little, I think it will be ok. Thanks for the opinions. :wave:

Billy ;-)

Latest posts