Sick calf need help!!

Help Support CattleToday:

jbradley

Reaction score
I got a deacon calf thats almost five weeks old and about 90 to 100 pounds he has been coughing for the last four or five days he is mainly on just milk and has free choice grain starter and hay that he eats pretty good i checked his temp three days ago and its was 105 so i gave him a good dose of draxin i checked his temp again today and its down to about 102.7 almost 103, he is still coughing through out the day and especially when i feed him his bottle he gets up and runs and jumps around like a healthy calf hes just coughing and got a slight temp not sure if i should give him another shot or just wait him out and keep checking his temp i live in northern michigan and its been really cold here in the single digits during the day below zero at night so i know that could be a factor too. Any advice would be greatfully apprectiated thanks

Jason

slick4591":3h3o8598 said:
If he were mine I'd hit him with Nuflor twice, each one three days apart.
alright even after the one shot of draxin he got earlier

I have never used Draxxin but most antibiotics need that second shot. And it is the second shot that seem to do the trick.

slick4591":15pfmtjn said:
Sure would. Those respiratory problems can be really tough on them. Better to knock it completely out.
alright thanks just got done feeding him not to long ago and noticed he is getting a running nose too, so think im gonna give him another shot thanks for the advice

Draxxin lasts 7- 14 days im not sure another shot of that will help. unless its been longer than that since first shot.

hooknline":1k4pb8eo said:
Resflor gold might be a better choice than nuflor.

I had a heifer that Draxxin didn't help after four days so I gave her a shot of Nuflor then 3-4 days later a shot of Resflor and she pulled out of it.I also gave her Pro Bias(spelling?) with those last two shots after being told to do that when giving theses type of meds.

Latest posts