Sick Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

brenda

Reaction score
We have a 2 year old angus bull that came from Montana. He had done really well until about a month and half ago. Bred some cows and has done a good job. All of a sudden he's sick. Took him to the vet, had a temp of 106, she started him on Nuflor and Banamine, diagnosis, pneumonia. He started doing better, breathing not as labored as it had been, and now its on and off again. We treat him, he's fine for a while, then yesterday when I went to feed, nose was pouring, and breathing labored again. I have even put the show fan on him to hopefully keep him comfortable. So now we are back on another round of meds. He did not have a temp today.

Question: Do you think its the change in the climate that might be doing this? I know our Mississippi weather is a big change from where he came from. The vet says he might not ever completely get over this.

Has anyone else experienced this with bulls coming from different climates?

I have the same problem. Treated the same way. I have not had him long enough to tell if he is going to get over the problem. The vet stated same may not get over completely.

I treated the second time with the 6 to 100 dose.

Vet also stated this is from stress and sale barns is what usually causes it.

well this bull came in from a ranch with several other bulls, from a ranch in montana, had not been to a sale barn, but he was with others from the same ranch, but they had all been worked.

Did your vet say if he felt like the different climate might be a factor? And what did he work your with. Nuflor, Micotil?

The vet gave nuflor and baytril. He did not get better until the second round.

The vet said hauling, stress and they catch diseases from the sale barn.

I had a similar experience about four years ago. Bought a bull from Indiana and brought him to Texas. He was fine until August, then was "off". Hauled him to A & M and he stayed there for a month. He was fine after that.. but about 8 months later had a intestinal blockage so we lost him to that.

Climate difference, hauling, stress, etc. and then breeding cows will definately help cause it. Just like with people.. your immune system is weakened, and you're more suceptible to sickness.

I would use Bovi-Shield 5 two rounds 14 days apart.For an antibiotic I would try a round of Draxin and continue the Banamine.For some reason this big guy does not have the kind of immunity that we would expect in an animal this age.

This sounds like shipping fever. Pastuerella. I also have this problem with sale barn calves. Weather changes is biggest part in it. I have a friend who doesn't go to sale barns. He had the same problem. Breaking the fever & treatment is the hardest part.I have one now doing same as yours. Calf before him made it 3 months & died. This one after I got him to a better state I vaccinated. 1 week has gone by he is still hanging in there.He eats gets up down ect. It's going to depend on how much damage to lungs is there.That's why your not getting him over it.Every time you have 30-40 degree temp. change watch close. If you vaccinate for pasteurella you should be okay when weather changes.2 weeks before due to change or trucking.I would watch the cows he bred for signs.The sooner you catch this the better the treatment results & Thats any dease.

He was vaccinated in February, not sure with what. All the bulls were worked before they were shipped from Montana. The snot is not stringy. And yes we do work all of our cattle, 2x's a year. We have not had any abortions.

We had a Maine-Anjou show calf several years ago that we bought from a guy in Iowa. After she was through showing, and was turned out to pasture, she was never as good as the rest of the cattle, stayed in the shade and the pond all the time. That's why we attributed this to the climate, just doesn't seem they can adjust to this humidity.

We just haven't heard of any of the other bulls that came in suffering with this kind of illness. So we are just watching him close.