Shrink

Help Support CattleToday:

"""Used to have a neighbor who weighed his calves for about 30yrs he would weigh them on Friday put back on the cows until Monday then wean and ship 35 miles for Tuesday sale with over night stand at the sale barn until weighed at sale time. Over the years they averaged 6% shrink on 5 weight calves."""

Thats pretty accurate for what I have seen. The overnight stay kills you unless they have something good to eat and are eating well enough to consume it.

Can somebody please explain shrink on cattle at sales? I understand what it means, but how is the end price calculated?
If I have a group of steers, let's say 5 mix steers at 527lb each (average) and the auction mart gives me 1% shrink. How does the shrink percentage come into play in the calculation of price/weight for my group of steers? I'm confused.
I'd start taking my cattle elsewhere. This sounds like they are buying cattle to resale and giving themselves an edge.

I'd start taking my cattle elsewhere. This sounds like they are buying cattle to resale and giving themselves an edge.
He posted that they were weighed and sorted into groups of same sex, quality and weight prior to the sale. You get paid for the number of lbs. you have in each lot. It is not uncommon for these type sales to have a pencil shrink applied.

He posted that they were weighed and sorted into groups of same sex, quality and weight prior to the sale. You get paid for the number of lbs. you have in each lot. It is not uncommon for these type sales to have a pencil shrink applied.

The complete information was a long time into the thread, before it was revealed. If the original had contained all the pertinent info, the reply's would have been much different.

Here at the couple of local sales, your cattle are sorted off the truck into any "uniform" groups of your own... then weighed and then they run them into pens. We get a printed sheet right out of the scale house....number of head in the group, back tag numbers or marks, pen they are put into....... used to be hand written tickets before they added the electronics in the scale house. There is no shrink added to the cattle. At some of the sales they will have a grader come in and they will group similar calves from different consigners into a "graded pen" so that the buyers can just buy bigger groups. It USUALLY is beneficial to the guy who has one or two of 4 wts, and 3 of 5 wts etc... if they are nice calves. But for the most part, if the seller has singles or 5 of something, they are just your own animals. The sorters will put similar ones together of your own and pen them that way.

We took in 20+ head and had 4 singles, several were paired together, also had 2 groups of 3 each. Heifers are sold separate from steers, and bulls separate. Our closest yard changed hands after 50 years or so and we are not thrilled with the new owners or the situation. It is becoming more of a "clearing house" for the new owners to have "sales receipts" for cattle they ship out, and getting to be more of a "good ole boy" thing. Fewer and fewer cattle come through this yard than used to. There are a couple of other stockyards that are another 30 + miles from this one, so twice as far away from us.... but we have sold at one a few times and are seriously thinking about going back there more. I just am not happy with things here at this one and have voiced my opinion to my son here the last couple of times. We are by no means a "big" place but ship 100+ head a year so not exactly a backyard hobby farm either. In this area most herds average less than 50 brood cows.... lots of 20 and 30 cow farms. Sometimes we will run 50 through at a clip, but often it is a load of about 20 as we buy and sell a few along too.

With your situation I would expect no shrink. 1% at most if weighed right off the truck. I always discuss the shrink situation prior to shipping because I've been surprised in the past and didn't like it.
What part of Alberta are you in?
North East.

Like what. My original question was just a basic what if and how.
The complete information was a long time into the thread, before it was revealed. If the original had contained all the pertinent info, the reply's would have been much differen

By the way, I'm SHE. But no worries, I can run with the boys and not be offended. =D

If you are selling at a presort sale the cattle are weighed off truck with a predetermined shrink according to distance hauled. If you ask they will likely provide you with the formula.

That money goes in my pocket when I fatten my own and eat it!
No way I'm paying that for steaks!
LOL.. you'd think we'd have a freezer full of fancy angus beef... but, we always eat the ones who wont sell good, something thats going to die, or is already dead from accident or gimpy.... just how its always been. We eat more burger than anything so feeding something out for burger is kind of dumb... Last one we put in our freezer had a bad leg.. He was fat and his meat is pretty good... probably the best we've had in the 45 years of ranching... but, i bet most people think we live high on the hog (beef).... but, not...

Latest posts