Showing Up

Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom

Reaction score
I just want to know yalls opinion on showing up. By that I mean, pull your animal toward the judge about 2 feet on profile. I think it is unsportman like and discourage my sons from doing this. What do you recommend they do when others do this? Do you join them?

One girl at the state fair tried to show up her animal when the judge was deciding between it and another heifer, and he immediately chose the other animal. However, this is the only time I have seen this happen.

What I mean is that when the judge is looking at the profile postion, the exhibitor will not follow the line set by the 1st animal. Instead, they will pull their animal out of line, meaning a couple of feet toward the middle of the arena, in front of the other exhibitors. So, you have one animal in the line closer to the judge than the other. You see if a lot this at TJLA shows.

lol... just one more little tidbit in the world of showing!

I think it's rude, especially if you're blocking a calf that's beyond you, but certainly not the worst thing I've seen done.

FFA.. I would hope that the judge would be savvy enough to realize the ploy, and not use it to color his judgement. I would guess they are doing it primarily to get the judge to take another look, or a closer look.

ffamom":27pqt1m2 said:
One girl at the state fair tried to show up her animal when the judge was deciding between it and another heifer, and he immediately chose the other animal. However, this is the only time I have seen this happen.

ffamom
Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:46 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You see if a lot this at TJLA shows.

Which is it?

At the majority of the little weekend TJLA shows, the ring stewards don't really direct the kids or the stewards are kids that don't know what they are suppose to be doing. As far as the kids that are showing, they are their for the points only, most show more than one breed and with two rings going some breeds get rushed, meaning the kids just get to a spot and set up so that the judge can judge and move on. They may not be exactly in a straight line, but then, it's just a little show, not HLS&R.

Also, if you listen to ag teachers and CEA, they will instruct the kids to circle out and stand out so that the judge gets a good look at their animal. That way they don't just blend in. Some animals may not stand exactly still and when the kid gets it set up it may be out a foot or so from the rest of the line. If you are showing a good animal, it doesn't matter if someone in the class does this. It's no big deal, done everyday. Have seen grown ups do it in open shows.

You know, kids learn from adults. If the adults cheat, then the kids will think it's alright to do it too.

cul8r":3p2uyst1 said:
You see if a lot this at TJLA shows.

Which is it?

At the majority of the little weekend TJLA shows, the ring stewards don't really direct the kids or the stewards are kids that don't know what they are suppose to be doing. As far as the kids that are showing, they are their for the points only, most show more than one breed and with two rings going some breeds get rushed, meaning the kids just get to a spot and set up so that the judge can judge and move on. They may not be exactly in a straight line, but then, it's just a little show, not HLS&R.

Also, if you listen to ag teachers and CEA, they will instruct the kids to circle out and stand out so that the judge gets a good look at their animal. That way they don't just blend in. Some animals may not stand exactly still and when the kid gets it set up it may be out a foot or so from the rest of the line. If you are showing a good animal, it doesn't matter if someone in the class does this. It's no big deal, done everyday. Have seen grown ups do it in open shows.

You know, kids learn from adults. If the adults cheat, then the kids will think it's alright to do it too.

I have judged some shows and prefer that animals stay in line. A foot or so is not that bad as some animals have to get another in their sight to be still. Some of these junior showman that come in 4 to 5 feet are being discourteous to their fellow exhibitors the same as someone who does not leave enogh space to stop and control their animal. Exhibitors that continually pull out and reset their animals are another pet peeve. "Get 'em set and keep'em still".

BC":223fk2nz said:
Exhibitors that continually pull out and reset their animals are another pet peeve. "Get 'em set and keep'em still".

So are you one of these judges that mark against the kid that's heifer is being show for the first time at a show and will not be perfectly still?

Alot of kids will show at the weekend shows to get their animals ready for the majors. The animals will not always be perfectly still in the show ring for the first couple of shows and there's always kids running around the outside of the ring which doesn't help. I always judge the little weekend shows differently then I do the bigger county and major shows. You have too.

Culr8,
Please reread my post. I stated that when the girl pulled out the judge chose the other animal. I stated that this is the 1st time I saw a judge appear to penalize a kid for doing this. I know it happen all the time in the TJLA but the kids are not penalized for this.

That happened to me one time. The exhibitor pulled his heifer out in front on purpose. So I just repositioned my heifer right in line with his. This was an open show and I've seen this exhibitor do it before.

cul8r":1n4h476a said:
BC":1n4h476a said:
Exhibitors that continually pull out and reset their animals are another pet peeve. "Get 'em set and keep'em still".

So are you one of these judges that mark against the kid that's heifer is being show for the first time at a show and will not be perfectly still?

Alot of kids will show at the weekend shows to get their animals ready for the majors. The animals will not always be perfectly still in the show ring for the first couple of shows and there's always kids running around the outside of the ring which doesn't help. I always judge the little weekend shows differently then I do the bigger county and major shows. You have too.

I dont think it is right to judge an animal that drags the the person showing it around the ring. I have seen the win when you couldn't even stop the animal long enough for the judge to see it.

The trick is if the judge is looking at another calf hard you pull out so he will look at your calf then he will go on to study your calf.

Good sportsmanship is good sportsmanship, I don't care if you are 10 or 50 years old. Yes, when you reset your animal, sometimes it is difficult to get all the way back in a straight line. But, blatingly (sp?) pulling out of line is poor sportsmanship. There isn't much more cut-throat than the open shows, and I know of many professionals, and MOST do not do this. I see it with juniors more than any other shows. It infuriates me.
Also, I agree with the comment about circling the cattle. Some times, you do need to circle to get reset. But everytime you circle, you TEACH your heifer/steer that if they misbehave, they get to go for a walk. You can push them back a few steps, than walk them back into position - without having to circle.
Some cattle just don't stand still very well, but you cannot keep letting them "go for a walk".
When you stop in line, you need to leave enough "wiggle" room so you can reset without disturbing the others in line.
Showing your animal "to the best of your ability" means setting the animal up in a way that best shows their attributes, not trying to be cutthroat.

This has been an interesting thread without one response of why you would want to be closer to the judge. I can't think of a judge who is so near sighted he can't see the cattle as well a couple feet further back. Good stickmen will only set up closer to the judge if their animal is smaller than the class and then only by a foot or so. If you are two or three feet closer the judge is aware they are closer and compensates accordingly. If you are too big for the class you would set up a foot the other side. Never break out of the line up on purpose. Get them set up correctly as soon as possible and only let the judge look at them set up right . Why would you want the judge to evaluate them with you twisting them in a circle trying to get them back in line...then have to set them back up.

I'm not an expert on leading and to be honest i've kinda given up on becoming a perfect handler. I've never been raised with cattle until i came to school and learnt that there is another use for cows that just eating them. I'm one of those people who will show the animal to the standard and really nothing more. If the head is up and their standing straight without being too spread out i'm fine and my animal is in view of the judge.

But i never knew that cattle judging could be so bitchy! I've had people purposly back their animals right into me, block me out, hit my animal with a cane for no reason, tell me what to do and where to go... i just ignore it mind you but it's very fustrating. I know your out there for yourself but there's got to be atleast some manners in the show ring.

I think, from my perspective a good handler is one who shows their animal off to the best of their ability. But when your judging the animal you look at every animal that you consider to have a chance. I hate bitchy handlers and unfortunately there's a lot. I try and stay right inbetween the animal infront and behind and when your someone like me who only gets to lead once every blue moon in the ring (or even in normal day life) it's nice to have people pay you a bit of respect even though they're in the ring continously.

But i guess winning is winning. I just make it into the ring is good enough for me.

this one girl dose that all the time and she crowds your animal too with hers. She pulls forward in the regular show and in showmanship she dosn't because all the judges down here penilize it. But i was in a class with her one time and she pulled forward and tryied crowding my steer thank goodness the judge wasnt watching but i took my show stiknafter i told her to move and quit and she gave me a smart little smile so i tryed to rip her calfs side open with the piont of my showstick. she didn't do it for the rest of the show and after the show we got into a fight. :roll: what a dama queen she is.

Latest posts