SHOWING HEIFERS IN HEAT

Help Support CattleToday:

B WEIR

Reaction score
I need some advice as to what to do with my calf when i show her because chances are she will be in heat at the show.i've never really worried about it before but this one is a basketcase when she's in heat. all suggestions are appreciated.

My son has a heifer that is due to cycle on the day that she goes to the state fair, in a trailer with a couple bulls and being stalled with them, so we will be giving her a shot the first of next week to bring her in early.

mom

I'm just not a fan of altering a heifer's estrus. In all our years of showing, it seemed like the heifers always managed to syncronize their cycles with the BIG shows. We found that if we were up to speed in our due diligence with the heifers, they just didn't give us much trouble at the shows when they were in heat. Our girls knew exactly what to do in all circumstances, which really impresses a Judge. I'll always hold to my belief that expert showmanship, feeding, fitting, and grooming will win more shows than a great calf lacking in one or more of those "handler" factors.

AAOK":puwcz2vc said:
I'm just not a fan of altering a heifer's estrus. In all our years of showing, it seemed like the heifers always managed to syncronize their cycles with the BIG shows. We found that if we were up to speed in our due diligence with the heifers, they just didn't give us much trouble at the shows when they were in heat. Our girls knew exactly what to do in all circumstances, which really impresses a Judge. I'll always hold to my belief that expert showmanship, feeding, fitting, and grooming will win more shows than a great calf lacking in one or more of those "handler" factors.

In our situation, I would rather give her a shot and bring her in a few days early, than someone get hurt by some of the bulls that will be hauled with her and stalled around her because she is in full blown heat and they are trying to get to her.

Now, if only heifer's were in the barn or only heifer's were being hauled and stalled around her, then she would just be in heat at the show. Last weekend one of the heifer's was in full blown heat at a show, it's a pain, but, that's just part of showing heifer's 8 to 15 months old.

As for the syncronizing, we have had show heifer's in full blown heat since last Thursday, every day up until today. It's been a very loud week around here.
mom

I agree with TX Show Mom.. why deal with a cranky heifer in heat if you don't have to? It's not risking someone getting hurt. My Simmental heifer I showed last year was a BEAST in heat.. we put a CDR in her and pulled it the day she showed. Perfect Lady! Although she did take a liking to a couple of Longhorn bulls.. of all things.

TxSimbrahShower":1qv7ftyd said:
As for the syncronizing, we have had show heifer's in full blown heat since last Thursday, every day up until today. It's been a very loud week around here.
mom

Maybe it will rain. That would make everything better, and it might even take your mind off of the jumpin' jack cows.

AAOK":uf6ooisa said:
TxSimbrahShower":uf6ooisa said:
mom

Maybe it will rain. That would make everything better, and it might even take your mind off of the jumpin' jack cows.

Not sure what you mean by this, but, we have had plenty of rain, showers once or twice a week. So no problems.

As for the syncronizing, I was just making the statment that the majority of the heifer's have sync. up since they are all together.

Around here, we have to put the show heifer's in their pens in the barn when they are in heat and not let them go out into their turn out areas, because the bulls out in the pasture with the rest of the cattle will walk the fences and ride them down if the heifer's get close to the fences while in heat and we don't need any 8,9 and 10 month olds being bred.

mom

Latest posts