Showing For a Breeder

Help Support CattleToday:

Snider_Angus

Reaction score
There are a few breeders near here and I know them all really well. All 3 of them want me to show cattle they have raised but not buy them. 1 breeder has 2 really nice Maine Steers that he wants me to show. here are the rules though. 1. i take the calf home and halter break it with help from his son 2. we split the feed bill each month 50/50 3. I keep all prize money and money from ffa sales 4. When i am finished i choose to show him and get into a big sale and we split the paycheck OR i slaughter him and i get half of the meat.
I really dont understand why people would want to show steers. i have thought and thought but i just cant find a reason. can someone tell me please? How do some of you show for breeders? What are the Rules?
and for the breeders! how do you partner with a showman?

personally i think it sounds like an alright deal. i was gonna show for a breeder. but he wasnt as willing to go 50/50 like that. he wanted me to take the heifer, feed it, break it, show it, and then give it back. uh, no thanks. whats in it for me except an animal that i get to feed, show and give back?? not much.

why not show a steer? my reason would have to be because you hopefully can sell it for a little profit. i'm not good at explaining stuff. hopefully someone can tell you better.

In our neck of the woods, to show youth shows, the animal has to be owned by the exhibitor. It would be best to check with your Ag adviser whether or not you can show an animal that belongs to a person who is not a family member.

If you are showing FFA or 4-H there are lease agreements that you can have signed by the owner. You can put what you have agreed upon in those agreements. As far as I know, you can then show under either one of those organizations.

4-H rules are different State to State. Check with your extension agent and FFA advisor first just to be safe.

For Juniors, this is a no-no anywhere. Just check the rules in the premium books. However it is done quite often. As things go you are being offered a good deal (money and potential wise).

I showed for a breeder I mean he halter broke the calves and all then I had the buy the feed and all that and pay for all the shows we went to. But I got to keep everything won. By showing for a breeder I got to show alsome cattle that I would not be able to aford. And another thing was I never had to clip or fit they always done it for me which I have a thing I really dont like fittin my own cattle I feel I cant get it perfict in my eyes but I dont mind fittin for someone else. Matter of fact wish there was some show cattle breeders around me so I could get a job halter breaking, fittin, clipping and jockin some cattle.

The 2 steers i would choose from are very good quality Maine x Angus calves. The children (now grown) showed theyre mothers a little over 4 years ago. The cows were very compeditive and faired very well in the major shows. Still more info to come. I will call him tonight to find out completely. He is a family friend and his family always goes camping with us. Good people taht i believe will treat me fair.

Maineshowgirl":3g7jsmig said:
Matter of fact wish there was some show cattle breeders around me so I could get a job halter breaking, fittin, clipping and jockin some cattle.

Move up here and pick a breeder. They are everywhere. Around here you just have to be sure to work for someone who will treat you fair and not cheat you.

Okay, so the way I work it is:

I show for the breeder. The breeder can choose to break in and prepare their own cattle. They organise entries, transport and equipment. I usually travel with the cattle or meet the transport at the show. I get paid a daily rate, plus they supply my accomodation, transport and meals. Or I charge a slightly higher rate if they do not supply accomodation, transport and meals. The breeder keeps prizes, ribbons and prize money. If it is a steer and gets sold, they get the money.

Some breeders want me to prepare the cattle. I do not do the entire preparation, but I will break the animals in (on their property), and give them a set feeding routine. Again, I get a daily rate.

I usually give the owner the name of a good clipper and foot trimmer, and they have this person clip and foot trim the team a few weeks prior to the show season.

Latest posts