Show Us Your Tigerstripes

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I would like to see more pictures of Tigerstripes if you don't mind posting them. I have seen only a few in my day and would like to see more. If you have any, or one that has a crazy pattern, please post it.

f-1_calves-photobucket_size.jpg

Those remind me of the one that a neighbor had when I was a kid. Seems their tigerstripe was a bit on the protective side when it had a calf. Those are some meaty lookin' little fellas you have there Cherokeeruby.

Do you still have those brahmans and breed to herefords to get those Tigers Cherokeeruby?

We still have some of the Brahmans, last year was our last crop out of the Hereford bull. Just raising straight Brahman now.

CopeMan":381fzsmz said:
Do you still have those brahmans and breed to herefords to get those Tigers Cherokeeruby?

Those are some great pics, I would enjoy seeing more!! I remember seeing some from along time ago that you posted

i havent run across many folks raising tigerstipes over the years.. makes me curious why.. maybe its just coincidence, but as good of a cow as they are, i would think more people would be raising them.

seems like everytime you ask someone about finding some good tigerstripes they say, so and so got his from somewhere in texas..

jt

jt":209ty3xd said:
i havent run across many folks raising tigerstipes over the years.. makes me curious why.. maybe its just coincidence, but as good of a cow as they are, i would think more people would be raising them.

If you come to the Texas Gulf Coast you'll see plenty of people raising them. They're known as the "Queen of the cattle country". Without getting into superlatives, I'll say that they handle the conditions along the coast really well. By conditions I'm talking about summer temps consistently in the high nineties, humidity to match, and salt-grass mosquitoes that are so big they come in with landing lights. These are the norms from May thru Sept. - not just conditions on the odd day. My father-in-law runs tigerstripes and black baldies. Both are fine cows, but when it's 102 degrees at 2 o'clock in the afternoon the baldies are under the shade treees, and the tigerstripes are grazing in the open. As a means of full disclosure I have to admit that I'm probably going to purchase 20 golden certified F1 tigerstripe heifers, which I intend to breed to a high quality Angus bull, and produce what I hope are some premium calves.

The downside to producing the F1's is that the value lies with the heifers, and not the steers. However, I believe that the ABBA has a program (BIM I believe it's called) designed around an initiative to increase the marketability of the F1 steer.

CJ

yep, bullred, i had about 25 of em at one time, but over the past few years i have gotten rid of most of em due to one thing or another, mostly age. have only a hand full left and they will probably go this fall.

i guess i will have to ease off into texas and find some more. ;-) :cboy:

thanks

jt

another problem i had was that she can only be a f1 once and can not reproduce herself. so to keep replacements i had to make my own. which is costly i could get decent heifers out of them but nothing as good as her.and like you say they would beat you like a stepchild at the sale barn on the steers

thanks bullred.. dont know anything about either place, but i will check into it.

jt

Fred Kloppenburg":3vhhxfk0 said:
which is best to get the stripes (grey brahman or red bra)

Most people use Greys. But as you can see Cherokeeruby used reds and I ahve a Red bull with my Herefords.

Latest posts