Show steer?

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
herefordsteers003.jpg

These are the steers that I have raised not great show material but daughter wants to show so we will.Got heifer for her earlier in year we will see how everthing pans out.Dont really want to buy a steer for her but am considering it.Will probably show the black one if he gets big enough 42 inches right now and is approx 6 months old now.Show is in July will he make it?

herefordsteers008.jpg

herefordbullpic001.jpg

Stephen - you need to count on your fingers next time - it's about 10 months.
JHH - at 6 months old & 42", he is about a frame 4.8. A steer can put on 100# a month easily after he is put on feed (heck, they can gain that much on the cow). So you shouldn't need to worry about getting him finished for July.
After you start working with him/ feeding him, you will need to monitor his weight gain & adjust your feeding program. You want him to continually be in a gaining mode till show. You can adjust his "fat" by WALKING WALKING (exercise) next summer. He will need finish but not globby fat.
By the way, I think he looks good (as I posted in other thread)

Thanks everyone for the replies, going to sell the others and keep him and see if he will make the grade lol. Daughter is very quick to point out that he is black and not her favorite but understands, she gets to show a heifer that will make her happy.Thanks back to work now.JHH

JHH":3fvtgdom said:
Daughter is very quick to point out that he is black and not her favorite but understands

JHH, if I get a good herf steer in the spring...I'll give you a holler if you want. Expecting a couple Pure gold calves this year...should be pretty stout. ;-)

WOW! took calves to sale EXCEPT BLACK ONE , guess what they weighed.My little light weight end of april calf weighed in at 390 and both the others weighed in at over 500.One at 561 and other at 547 they were born two days apart.Black one got weighed also 585.done ok at sale 121.50 for the big ones and 125.0 for the light weight.I think I may have to find another steer if he keeps growing like that.JHH

He was done at about 3 weeks old or so.Banded not cut. Kind of hard to tell with pic but I promise you he is not a bull now.JHH

Latest posts