show results

Help Support CattleToday:

Grand Chaser

Reaction score
I went to my first show since march and did pretty good. my steer placed 5th outta 7 or 9 i can't remember but the judge said he had the number 2 best profile but he didn't have enough muscle to place higher. he weighed 705 and he's 8 months old and a paddy o'malley calf. but tell me what you think of him.

0.jpg

00000.jpg

0000.jpg

Good looking little calf! He's structurally pretty nice, and appears to have enough muscle to feed out well. I think he will just keep getting better.

Congrats! He looked really good. A couple showmanship tips: try not to let his head drift towards you. I know its hard and I do it too but when his head isn't straight, it makes him appear to have a weak top. Also, try to hold the chain closer to his face. Hold right next to the ring on the halter (that the chain comes out of) This will help you keep his head up and straight. Good Job! :D

AAOK":3l3pb9el said:
Good looking little calf! He's structurally pretty nice, and appears to have enough muscle to feed out well. I think he will just keep getting better.

I agree. It looks like you take very good care of him so I am willing to bet he will just keep getting better with age.

he looks good and like all the others say, he'll get better with time and feed. one tip. this is something i messed up on and was told, your thumb should be closest to his face, not your pinkie. did that make sense??

I agree with AAOK I think he will continue to improve as he grows out.

But on the showmanship tips I disagree, but then again there is a fair difference between the way things are done here and there. But when I'm judging a handlers class I like to see kids not holding the lead close to the animal's head, as they generally walk more freely and show themselves off better. And by having your pinky closest to the animals head, or 'over' the lead as I say, you have a lot more strength in your arm and better control over the animal. But JMHO and maybe these are not the things judges over there look for.

when you have an animal set up your thumb should be closest to the anmils head because you have more control......try it at home when you are setting him up and your pinky is closest to the head he will drag his head down and the lead will just slip through your fingers.........when you hold him with your thumb closest it cant slip through your fingers and you have much more grip

i didnt see your steer at the show but from the pics he looks to be a really nice steer.

How did the other steer and your new heifer do?

Keren":1if0w9xv said:
I agree with AAOK I think he will continue to improve as he grows out.

But on the showmanship tips I disagree, but then again there is a fair difference between the way things are done here and there. But when I'm judging a handlers class I like to see kids not holding the lead close to the animal's head, as they generally walk more freely and show themselves off better. And by having your pinky closest to the animals head, or 'over' the lead as I say, you have a lot more strength in your arm and better control over the animal. But JMHO and maybe these are not the things judges over there look for.

The reason I hold closer to the face is I feel like I have more control over them if they do decide to be a little wild. I think that if they have some slack in lead then they have the chance to get further away and possible get their head down. In my experinces once they get their head down, there's little possiblity of you getting it back so they don't get away. :D

thanks for all the advice but i have always held my thumb closer to his face than my pinky. i feel like i have more control. i am really pleased with the way he is growing out and pleased with his temperment too. and i think in those pics i had just checked his feet and hadn't gotten my hand back into position. but i normaly do have close to his face.

richburg102 i didn't take the other steer and heifer because the heifer is still very woun'd up and i didn't feel like getting kille out there and the steer shaved part of his hair off on a peice of loose tin off the side of the barn lol and had a huge bald spot on his side and neck. :oops: but that wont' happen again i fixed the tin

when i judge shows i like to see the exibitor hold to the lead on the chain right after the juction in the lead. if that made since.

i rarely ever hold the chain on the lead. i've always been told to hold the leather. but this judge was looking for very smooth mechanics and wanted you to have that calf stop set up.

It looks good if you hold the halter with your thrum and index finger, because it make it look like you have more control and it looks good for showmanship. If I can find a pic for me showing thats close up I'll posted it so you can see what am taking about.

Grand Chaser":30n0s0wm said:
i do hold the lead with my thumb and index finger
From the pictures, you dont. You hold it with your fist. Anyway, the steer looks pretty good, he would be a strong contender around here.
I agree with the thumb/index finger closest to the head for showmanship. IF your animals is well enough trained. IMO, it looks better, but gives less controll. For me, it depends on the animal whether I hold the lead thumb closest or pinkie closest. ALSO, around here, the judges like your hand a couple inches, say 2 inches, away from the head. They say it gives less "bulk" to the head because they cant see your hand or lead strap. I like it because I feel it gives more control. OK, now while im on my showmanship rant...it looks like you need a smaller halter. Looks a little sloppy. Anyway. Congrats on a good show. Keep up the good work, and keep on that fiesty heifer, you'll get her with time.

Keren":3pqzguzp said:
But when I'm judging a handlers class I like to see kids not holding the lead close to the animal's head, as they generally walk more freely and show themselves off better. And by having your pinky closest to the animals head, or 'over' the lead as I say, you have a lot more strength in your arm and better control over the animal. .

I agree with that, although must be a substantial difference in the way they judge over there as to here.

I also think that steer will grow out as he ages, he's not a bad looking fella.

in the second picture you are rubbing his belly and his neck is stretched out. too many people make this mistake. it's ok to rub them like that but stop when he starts to stretch out. it doesnt flatter them that pose haha. if you still want to scratch him. try the brisket.

also. make it look like you aren't holding him. when i have my nose and lead leathers, i only use my thumb, pointer and middle finger. you'll find you flow a lot better. a lot of these tricks you pick up over time anyway.

Latest posts