Show results with pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

showkid1200

Reaction score
Had a show this weekend didn't do to bad reserve grand champion steer and i got a called back for showmanship heres some pics

thebeast.jpg

<br>
show.jpg

Steer looks good. Congrats on the Reserve Grand Champion and more so for being picked to go for showmanship.
Best of luck.

la4angus":3cpkmpqm said:
Steer looks good. Congrats on the Reserve Grand Champion and more so for being picked to go for showmanship.
Best of luck.

Ditto. Good lookin steer and Way To Go on the showmanship.. best part of any show.

the actual show is the best part of the show. thats why it is called a cattle show not a showmanship show. thats just a lil somethign extra.

Texas26steerjock":u0s4ex7n said:
the actual show is the best part of the show. thats why it is called a cattle show not a showmanship show. thats just a lil somethign extra.

I would have to disagree witht that. The cattle classes are always good. But Showmanship is part of the show, I would say more than "just a lil somethign extra". I think showmanship is the best part b/c it is 100% about the kids. Their ability to show and exhibit the animals. Doesn't matter if the kid is showing something home raised from a commercial herd or if the kids daddy bought them a $10,000 steer to show, each kid has an equal opportunity to win.

I know, personally, I am much more proud of the showmanship championships that i have won than any other in any cattle class.

Ryan

to each his own. id be more proud of beatin the snot out of every other calf at a major versus being one of the few called back for showmanship to win a blue ribbon. the pay check for a winning steer is much better than that lil ribbon any day of the week.

Texas26steerjock":2860ueo9 said:
to each his own. id be more proud of beatin the snot out of every other calf at a major versus being one of the few called back for showmanship to win a blue ribbon. the pay check for a winning steer is much better than that lil ribbon any day of the week.

Winning a major with a steer would feel pretty awesome, no doubt. I guess I feel different b/c i've always showed open breeding cattle, Longhorns actually...even the youth longhorn shows are still considered "open" and there everyone gets to compete in showmanship, no calling back to show. That way the showmanship classes are usually the largest of the day. The only time it was somewhat different for me was the one year i showed at county. Had my longhorn there, probably 25 or so other longhorn heifers bout the same age. I got grand longhorn female (obviously didnt stand a chance goin up against the other breeds for overall) but did get called back for showmanship and won that, so that was fun.

Is the showmanship section similar to our paraders competition?
Its separate from the individual breed classes usually held at the end of the cattle judging. You have to enter to be involved in it.There is varying age restrictions. Bek,Keren and Killala will be able to give more info as I'm too old for most parader comps.

In showmanship, you are judged on your ability to show. How well your animal works with you, your ability to show out flaws, in some case the way you fit the animal. They may ask you questions related to your animal, breed or about specific hot topics in the industry. You really never know what they are looking for or what they might ask. One judge always ask the amount of fat cover a steer should have in the heifer show. Never really understood his logic. However, he ask the gestation for a Brahman Heifer at the last show. British and Continental kids had no idea.

Ryan":3mjv3t0h said:
Texas26steerjock":3mjv3t0h said:

I would have to disagree witht that. The cattle classes are always good. But Showmanship is part of the show, I would say more than "just a lil somethign extra". I think showmanship is the best part b/c it is 100% about the kids. Their ability to show and exhibit the animals. Doesn't matter if the kid is showing something home raised from a commercial herd or if the kids daddy bought them a $10,000 steer to show, each kid has an equal opportunity to win.

I know, personally, I am much more proud of the showmanship championships that i have won than any other in any cattle class.

Ryan
I have to agree 100% with you Ryan. I have been thinking that "Texas26steerjock"is just that, a steer jock and he seems to be proving me right every time he post's something.

The way I see it is if you have enough money you can buy an animal that will win, but that doesnt mean you have put in hard work with that animal. It doesnt matter if you spend $20,000 on an animal in showmanship if you havent worked your butt off getting it ready for show.

Sure it would be nice to win at the majors, but I cant justify spending that much money just so I can win. Im there to show and have fun, not break the bank trying to win.

Australian Cattleman":28gn8bgv said:
Is the showmanship section similar to our paraders competition?
Its separate from the individual breed classes usually held at the end of the cattle judging. You have to enter to be involved in it.There is varying age restrictions. Bek,Keren and Killala will be able to give more info as I'm too old for most parader comps.

I wonder actually. I know with paraders up here the classes are usually. Under 10, 10 -13, 13-15/16 and then 16 - 25.
Like you said Colin you have to enter in the paraders classes. And you have to present your animal in the ring to the best of your ability at that time. With the rest of the day, technically it doesn't matter what the animal looks like. Basically just shows how you work with your animal in the ring, and your own presentation.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":1kam1fg8 said:
The way I see it is if you have enough money you can buy an animal that will win, but that doesnt mean you have put in hard work with that animal. It doesnt matter if you spend $20,000 on an animal in showmanship if you havent worked your butt off getting it ready for show.

Sure it would be nice to win at the majors, but I cant justify spending that much money just so I can win. Im there to show and have fun, not break the bank trying to win.
I wholeheartedly agree with ya'll! :clap:

Ryan":lka3rrxk said:
Texas26steerjock":lka3rrxk said:

Ryan

I agree Ryan. Couldn't have said it better myself. Eventhough winning a major would make me very happy...winning showmanship is more of a 'rush' (so to say)

You might be able to say "i have the best calf" but I think it is better to say "i can show better". JMO

Showkid nice calf and congrats. keep up the good work!!! ;-)

Every showmanship show Ive been to has been where you either have to enter before the show or just show up to it. Ive never seen where they pick you out during the show for showmanship, its always been your choice.

Latest posts