Show Heifer Prospect (Updated Pic)

Help Support CattleToday:

Cattleman200

Reaction score
Show_Heifer.jpg

Your thoughts / comments on this heifer please. Thanks, Bill

Circle H Ranch

This should get interesting! :lol2: Nice heifer Bill! :clap:

She is a very nice heifer. Some nit picking things that I would add are a deeper flank and add some extension up front, she doesn't have that thick neck. Maybe its just me but she also looks straight on her front two as well. I can't comment on depth and length b/c I'm on a widescreen, but she looks to have adaquate bone and a good rear quarter. I'll have to check when I get on another computer, but I see her brisket ending before it hits her knees so I do wonder how thick she is. She's a good solid heifer though and you should do well in the ring with her.

I think she'll do very well in the showring. She has the look and the color that most judges are looking for, IMO. Good topline, which is also important in real world, clean fronted, looks to have good rear quarter. I'd like to see a pose with the rear legs both straight down to evaluate whether there is a touch of post-leggedness(which isn't likely to hurt you in the showring). How old is she? Is she bred? She is a very pretty heifer, definitely feminine. If I wanted to nit-pick, I'd say let's see some poses which display her thickness and spring of rib or lack thereof, but from this pic she looks pretty good to me.

Thanks for the comments so far. Hopefully a few more will come in and I will post some info and answers to questions on the heifer. Thanks again, Bill

Circle H Ranch

Well, here's the deal. I am lousey at picking show anaimls, but as a very good production type of heifer she is well above average.

clean fronted, good topline, has some depth, I don't see to much with her legs, could be the way she is set up. I would like to see a butt shot, just for width. What is her breeding? Must be a good bull and cow.

Thanks for you comments. I was hoping for a few more before I posted her breeding and other information. Come on folks.....If you have a thought leave it with us.

Circle H Ranch

I hate to criticize but if thats what it takes to get more info, here goes. She has lots of good stuff but does appear to be a bit barrel gutted. May end up a bit out of balance, as in heavy fronted before she matures. With that said you need to understand that I am used to primarily british breeds. Depending on her breed she may just be fine. Is she Semi?

Avalon, where do you get barrel gutted from in this picture , ? and big fronted ,maybe you are seeing something that im missing , can you be more specific.

Based on this picture I really like her from her shoulders back. She is deep enough in her flank, square hipped and appears to have enough rib shape. I do think she looks a little course in her shoulder, however some of that could be that she is not very extended in her neck and head. A little more extension of the neck could make the shoulder look smoother. Overall a very nice heifer.

NC Cattleman":2gvbtjnu said:
Avalon, where do you get barrel gutted from in this picture , ? and big fronted ,maybe you are seeing something that im missing , can you be more specific.
Gee I knew this was going to happen. But here goes. note the pics on the link from the American Royal http://www.angusjournal.com/royal/2008/females.html
Those heifers have a lot of gut... No barrel look. I'm not that impressed with their fronts however.
Click on the pic for the Reserve Champion Sr Heifer Calf . She is a pretty good example of how I believe a heifer should taper up a bit moving foreward from her gut to underneath her shoulders. I personally like to have a female that tapers down from her rear moving towards the front. The heifer in question just does not appear to do that.
Keep in mind we are talking about a potential show heifer here. Not just a brood cow prospect.
Like I said. I really didnt want to be critical, I just want to know more about her.....Thats my story and I'm stickin to it. :cowboy:

OK Im going to post a little info and breeding on this heifer and see if I can spark a few more comments. Thanks for all your comments no matter if they were good, bad or ugly !! I appreciate them all.

The heifer in this post is a LimFlex 50. Angus sired out of a Limousin female. She weighed 620 at weaning which was at around 6 months old. She has a 697 adj. weaning weight. No creep just pasture and mama. We weighed her last week when she was just a few days past 8 1/2 months and she weighed 815. She has gained 195 pounds in the last 9 weeks and that includes going through weaning and halter breaking. Thats around 3.1 ADG. She has really put on body during the last month. We are kinda excited about her and hope that she holds together between now and State Show time. I plan to have her weighing around 1200-1250 by March if I can. She is Homozygous black by pedigree and could be Homozygous polled as well. I will test her a little later to see. We have weaned 4 half paternal brothers that weaned from 630 to 665 that were just under 205 days that were raised in the same conditions and they all look really good. I will post sire and dam info a little later. Thanks, Bill

Circle H Ranch

I like to base my opinions on what you intend to do with her. If she is going to be shown, what is the level of competition? She might be fine for a small county fair, but then I would be more critical if you plan on taking her to the Stock Show. With that being said, I would like to see more width, drop her flank, little more extension. Might be a little coarse in her front shoulder. In the picture she looks buck-kneed, but it could be the way she is standing. Structure is a big factor in breeding stock. Can't judge that without seeing her moving.

by Avalon on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:57 am

NC Cattleman wrote:
Avalon, where do you get barrel gutted from in this picture , ? and big fronted ,maybe you are seeing something that im missing , can you be more specific.Gee I knew this was going to happen. But here goes. note the pics on the link from the American Royal http://www.angusjournal.com/royal/2008/females.html
Those heifers have a lot of gut... No barrel look. I'm not that impressed with their fronts however.
Click on the pic for the Reserve Champion Sr Heifer Calf . She is a pretty good example of how I believe a heifer should taper up a bit moving foreward from her gut to underneath her shoulders. I personally like to have a female that tapers down from her rear moving towards the front. The heifer in question just does not appear to do that.
Keep in mind we are talking about a potential show heifer here. Not just a brood cow prospect.
Like I said. I really didnt want to be critical, I just want to know more about her.....Thats my story and I'm stickin to it.
Well I have to say that since this heifer is half Limousin and half Angus she may never have the guts that the heifers you posted for us to look at have. Not knocking anything (because I raise a few Angus also) I have to say that I am glad you gave us that link to compare. For although at 8 1/2 months she does not have the guts she does have enough flank to compare to at least a couple of the top females on that link. Its also good to know that our heifer is cleaner fronted than probably at least 50% of the females you posted . Im glad the link was posted to compare our green amatuer LimFlex heifer to some of the best overall Angus show stock in the USA. Since she wont be showing against Angus females we are hoping she will hold her own in her respected classes. If not, well we will have a good time with her anyway. lol

Circle H Ranch

Latest posts