Show cattle/Market cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

6M Ranch

Reaction score
The article on the Cattle Today main page shows that show cattle aren't just pretty to look at. The old thinking that show cattle didn't represent the "real" cattle market, isn't true all the time. Not always, but at shows we've been going to over the last couple of years, judges are picking "market" type cattle.

It is good that judges are realizing this is business. The original shows were geared at market animals.

I guess that depends on the judge. I've found with some of the newer, younger judges they seem to be looking more at market type animals. But it still seems like a lot of difference between the two! Let's face it.. if they were just looking for market type animals, no one would be fitting cattle anymore. Which in my opinion would be a GREAT idea.

Not a show person so my opinion is a bit different.
The real test of the "beef quality of the animals should include the rates of gain, finish weights and should be conducted on naked cows...upside-down...in a real cold room.
Thats what the business is about...saleable high quality red meat.
Just my two bits worth...asked for or not. Dmc

Susie David":t0abll2t said:
The real test of the "beef quality of the animals should include the rates of gain, finish weights and should be conducted on naked cows...upside-down...in a real cold room.
Dmc

Or maybe even a huge grill and give everyone a knife and a fork and let them pick the winner. ;-) :lol: :lol:

Im still in the growing process but in my minda show animal also has to perform as any other after there show carrier only last for so long after its off to the pasture or market for steers so to me show animalas go hand and hand with market animals as for daily gain I think most show animals would pass with flying colors

If showing were truly only about meat people wouldn;t pay thousands of dollars for a steer to show

Like most types of shows, the contestants are supposed to represent the ideal of the species. More and more shows are putting a carcass contest as part of the overall judging.

There is MAJOR DIFFERENCES between STEER/club calf shows & BREEDING shows - I think this goes without too much explaination.
Breeding shows should represent structurally correct animals that best represent the breed being shown.
Some judges are going overboard & picking FEMALES that look like STEERS. We all want lots of muscle in our cattle - males & females - but a heifer/cow should look like a FEMALE if you want her to be fertile & a good milker.
I think "most modern" judges are doing a good job picking easy keeping, structurally correct breeding stock.

Latest posts