Show Board

Help Support CattleToday:

Do we need a Show Talk Board?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
there has become too much of a gap between functional cattle and show cattle. I know you say that your cattle are no different from your show string to your comercial herd BUT, too many people's cattle are.

I would have to agree with you 110% on this one. Way too many cripple cattle out there.

There has been a few bad eggs in the show business that has given all the honest breeders a bad name.

Let me just say that people in the "show world" are very aware of who the bad apples are and WE stay clear.

But now you have to accect the fact that there is a difference and for now on there will always be a difference.

Some of us are the same people and don't deserve to be treated as second class citizens on this or any board just because we show cattle.

txshowmom":94r1bogo said:
Some of us are the same people and don't deserve to be treated as second class citizens on this or any board just because we show cattle.

Did I say that? I don't think I said that. I'm giving you my view as a commercial cattleman of the show idea. I don't remember saying anything about 2nd class citizens. Please don't put words in my mouth.

txshowmom wrote:

Did I say that? I don't think I said that. I'm giving you my view as a commercial cattleman of the show idea. I don't remember saying anything about 2nd class citizens. Please don't put words in my mouth.

Sorry redwhiteface I was not reffering to you.

redwhiteface":2iupxhjr said:
you are hard headed arn't you.

Yup!
But does anyone really think that having another board will keep the show stuff from being interjected into other subjects just like it is now?

dun

Yup!
But does anyone really think that having another board will keep the show stuff from being interjected into other subjects just like it is now?

Probably not dun but my guess is that the people that are complaining about the show talk will still red it and interject even if it does have its own board. People are curious by nature. They won't be able to take it. They will HAVE to see what us show people are up to. :lol: :lol:

dun":e842swt7 said:
There are several other forums that have show boards. Don't see that it would contribute anything constructive to this forum. If you're not interested in a subject, don't read it. Seems a pretty simple solution to me.

dun
The other show cattle formus that I have read have about as much or less action than Horse Talk on Cattle Today.

I say give it a chance, as it can be canceled if there is not enough action on it. If there is enough action on it will be a credit to Cattle Today.
There are many posters on CT that has lots of interest in show cattle and showing cattle, and many that has had plenty of experience with the same subject, that can give out some good advice to the ones wanting it.

Certherfbeef wrote: Let commercial cattleman be commercial cattleman and don't make them sort through the show stuff.[/quote]

So are these boards just for commerical cattlemen?

Reg. breeders and people that show I guess don't count and here I thought this was America.

At least some of the show talk in the post answer's the orginal question as opposed to just some of the smart remarks that don't answer anything.

mobetter11":1ur2aert said:
Let commercial cattleman be commercial cattleman and don't make them sort through the show stuff.

So are these boards just for commerical cattlemen?

Reg. breeders and people that show I guess don't count and here I thought this was America.[/quote]

I am a Reg Breeder/Commerical cattlemen I think it would be beneficial for the show people to have there own board.
They can talk about the shows and seek advice. Jump back up to another board if they want to talk Commerical cattle issues. Thats no different than jumping from the Coffee Shop to the Breeds board.

txshowmom":2h57d01f said:
I'm sure you guys already know this but I think a show board is a GREAT idea! What do you say Macon???? Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes Macon,,,Please!!!!!!!!

Hillbilly

I think a show board is a good idea. can help a lot of people.

txag":2s87cgmd said:
....my reservations of a show board come from some of the other show sites......you get questions like "who's the hottest show chick?" "who's the hottest show boy?"

we have to ask ourselves "are we prepared for these kind of discussions on this site?"
You make me wish I could take my vote back, txag! That kind of garbage would be bad enough clogging up a serious Show Board. If it spilled over into the other Boards here, it would be a disaster, in my opinion. And it would probably eventually spill over.

It would actually suit me just fine to have a ban on all of the show talk just like we have on the politics. But my concern is for the kids. The kids and what seems to be the elusive parents who think about things other than winning at any cost and who might need a little guidance. If they could learn something from a Show Board, and if people like showmom and a few others can provide the leadership and guidance to cut down on the nonsense, I'd still have to vote for it.

There are so many things about the shows that I despise, nowadays. I think many of us do. Too many parents have lost sight of what's important. Too much money involved is probably the root of a lot of the problems. But I pulled this quote out of some of the showtalk yesterday, and I think its really important and deserves a second look:
txshowmom":2s87cgmd said:
I don't like some of the things that happen at the shows.......We tell our kids to forget about it, do the best they can, and keep their chin held high because they didn't lie cheat or steal to get where they are. We teach them that you have to work hard to get what you want and that life is not FAIR.
Now, if we can all get involved in helping to teach kids those lessons, I think we've done some good!

Perfectly said. There are many negative things about showing, but if there was a show board, i think that people already using the boards could help it to be serious and informative. Just like the other boards on this site.

txag":rq3tnui7 said:
you get questions like "who's the hottest show chick?" "who's the hottest show boy?" "who's the best judge?" "we have to ask ourselves "are we prepared for these kind of discussions on this site?"

The Administrator and Moderators should be able to take care of this type of problems.

Everybody has made some good points. Back in the '80s we showed at the major shows in Texas and the Southeast for several years promoting our registered herd and both my sons showed heifers on the Junior circuit. We learned a lot about cattle and people.

Let's give the Board a try. Maybe the professional steer jockeys will stay on the other show boards. They are a different breed.

If it doesn't work, I can always delete it. And I know Dun won't say..."told you"!

Texan":1e302466 said:
certherfbeef":1e302466 said:
.....guys like Texan and Camp don't have to listen to folks like TSM and rgv4........
:D Can't speak for Campground, but sounds good to me, Cert. Ummm..... You promise? ;-)

Jake, I vote yes even though I have some reservations. I guess I look at it kinda like baitin' a hog trap in a hay meadow. If I put out a lot of corn and get more hogs in my meadow than I had, I guess that's okay as long as they all go in the trap. But, if I get more in than I had and they don't all go in the trap and then they just start rootin' around everywhere and messin' up even more of my place, I feel like I'm worse off. Does that make sense?

On the other hand, I feel like we have some very knowledgable showpeople on these Boards. If we provide a place for them to help the kids and parents who need their help, I think we've done a great service to future cattlemen. And at the same time we keep the show talk off of the other Boards so that it doesn't interfere with the "normal" discussion, like Jake mentioned. I don't know. Maybe it'll work........

This was my fear too, I didn't really know... I hate to try to mastermind something with out talking it all out with Macon first.

Jake":7v7lb6lb said:
Texan":7v7lb6lb said:
certherfbeef":7v7lb6lb said:
.....guys like Texan and Camp don't have to listen to folks like TSM and rgv4........
:D Can't speak for Campground, but sounds good to me, Cert. Ummm..... You promise? ;-)

Jake, I vote yes even though I have some reservations. I guess I look at it kinda like baitin' a hog trap in a hay meadow. If I put out a lot of corn and get more hogs in my meadow than I had, I guess that's okay as long as they all go in the trap. But, if I get more in than I had and they don't all go in the trap and then they just start rootin' around everywhere and messin' up even more of my place, I feel like I'm worse off. Does that make sense?

On the other hand, I feel like we have some very knowledgable showpeople on these Boards. If we provide a place for them to help the kids and parents who need their help, I think we've done a great service to future cattlemen. And at the same time we keep the show talk off of the other Boards so that it doesn't interfere with the "normal" discussion, like Jake mentioned. I don't know. Maybe it'll work........

This was my fear too, I didn't really know... I hate to try to mastermind something with out talking it all out with Macon first.

Sounds like you had a great idea grasshopper (Jake) now the Cattlemen can talk their real world issues and the show people can talk theres.
See you on the cattle part Jake.

Latest posts