Should I wait for rain

Help Support CattleToday:

fenceman

Reaction score
Got several 400 to 600 pound calves I'm itching to sell. Around here this time of the year, these kinda calves are going to go to winter wheat or oats. Hasn't rained in several weeks and winter forage is starting to show it.
Kinda thinking a shower might make folks feel better about buying stockers. Right now no rain in sight.

Id say it depends on how much its going to cost you to keep them and if the profit will make up for it :2cents:

ez14":3b2k4zwz said:
Id say it depends on how much its going to cost you to keep them and if the profit will make up for it :2cents:

That's a real good answer ez. Thanks.
It's that second number I'm looking for. :cboy:

Mine im holding till the grass greens up and no matter the price they got to go I have kept them way longer than I ever do.

Same situation for me but I elected to sell mine on Monday. These moisture cycles are making it hard to manage a pasture. We've had nothing for over 5 weeks after 3 months of mud. Never fails though, when I get my ready to ship, the futures are limit down that day.

If you wait on rain.....you may be waiting a l o o o o o n g time :)

What's it going to look like if it doesn't rain?

Yeah my thoughts exactly vette. I'm usually more optimistic about the weather than you. But it seems your right alot more often. :(

This could get bad if it doesn't rain soon.
Sales tomorrow. I guess I'll decide when I get up in the morning. :)

Call over to Capitol Land and see what they will give you. Local conditions don't bother them as most ship right back out plus no commission.

bird dog":3c6tn2ls said:
Same situation for me but I elected to sell mine on Monday. These moisture cycles are making it hard to manage a pasture. We've had nothing for over 5 weeks after 3 months of mud. Never fails though, when I get my ready to ship, the futures are limit down that day.

They were up slightly today fenceman. I sold about half my steers two weeks ago. I'm gonna wait on the rest and I'm gonna keep all the heifers for now. I'm in a good situation right now as I don't need the money right now. But I'm gonna need it by fall and I will have to sell something whether they are high or low.

You must be pretty sharp jj that's what I'm thinking to. :lol2:
I'm thinking I'm going sell the steers and a few heifers I don't think much of. Keeping some of the better heifers for a little bit.

fenceman":1p7e4lw3 said:
You must be pretty sharp jj that's what I'm thinking. :lol2:
I'm thinking I'm going sell the steers and a few heifers I don't think much of. Keeping some of the better heifers for a little bit.

Better go with lucky FM. My philosophy is this.... Pigs get fat but hogs get butchered. I just try to spread my selling out where I don't hit "all the low markets" however by doing this I also don't hit all the highs. As for the money comment, I wasn't bragging in the slightest. I've just got some room to play for about 9 months without being "forced" to sell. That wasn't the case last year. And it has given me some options, and for now I've got plenty of feed, but one drought could mess that up quickly.

Seems around here, it's either too dry to grow grass or too dang muddy to get anything loaded and back out on to hard ground. I waited 2 months last spring to get some loaded because of the mud. Got some I need to sell but I'm going to wait and see if I can get a few more lbs on them. Gonna go to Navasota this time.

Didn't sale Wednesday, went to work instead. Car ran through a fence at a local water tower. Those things can't be left open anymore. Figured the emergency front of the list charge was better than worrying about the calves.
Prices were down 3 to5
Reckon they will probably go this Wednesday to lampasas.

Latest posts