Should I keep 3/4 Diesel?

Help Support CattleToday:

Till-Hill

Reaction score
Currently have 2010 3/4 6.7 Cummins. 88k on it. 99% time now pulling 16' bumper Alum cattle trailer. Most miles are hauling baby calves to town. That will end first of the year and will be hauling full loads close trips of dairy heifers/cows. Move 40-50 pair to grass and back.

Right now my truck is almost worth what it would cost to buy a "work truck" model 1/2 ton brand new. Or little more money for 3/4 gasser. Things may change who knows in future but for the few of miles I put on I could own a brand new truck in the next year free and clear.

I currently drive a junker Ford Ranger back and forth to work errands. Once it dies I'd just run one vehicle as won't need trailer as much once done with babies. (Cummins stays hooked up 99% time)

A half ton would handle what you are doing but if i already had a 3/4 and could afford to keep it i would.

I would switch over to a 3/4 gas of the brand of your choosing. That's a very problematic year model truck. I would not push your luck.

I would not go to a 1/2 ton either. A 16' bp has quite a bit of tongue weight when loaded down. A 3/4 gas would take you thru a 24' gn should the need arise. Plus they come with brake controllers, larger hitches, etc.

Your getting more bang for the same buck.

A "newish" half ton truck will do that job no problem. Most of the newer half ton trucks have better engines, transmissions, axles, suspension and way better brakes than even a early to mid 2000's 3/4 ton truck.

ALACOWMAN":35zqakeg said:
If I had that dodge I'd hang on to it,,,you'll eventually wish you had..
That's what all the Dodge guys are telling me. So far 1 set of front brakes, seal on the turbo, batteries have been only issues with it. It is worth almost what I paid for it according to guys who want an original non def 6.7 I guess. I just drive it. Don't really keep up on all that stuff. I've owned it since 20k

That trucks make and model has been part of buy backs forced by the NHTSA. It's got a laundry list of recalls related to safety issues. Chrysler has been fined and all kinds of stuff for not addressing them.

US Department of Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx hailed the penalties as one way to protect American drivers. "Fiat Chrysler Automobiles has failed to meet its legal obligations and even worse, Fiat Chrysler failed its biggest obligation, it failed to protect American drivers," he said. "That included remedies that weren't actually remedies, they didn't fix safety defects and didn't give consumers information needed to make repairs. ... This pattern is unacceptable."

Brute 23":159uxkbt said:
That trucks make and model has been part of buy backs forced by the NHTSA. It's got a laundry list of recalls related to safety issues. Chrysler has been fined and all kinds of stuff for not addressing them.

US Department of Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx hailed the penalties as one way to protect American drivers. "Fiat Chrysler Automobiles has failed to meet its legal obligations and even worse, Fiat Chrysler failed its biggest obligation, it failed to protect American drivers," he said. "That included remedies that weren't actually remedies, they didn't fix safety defects and didn't give consumers information needed to make repairs. ... This pattern is unacceptable."
I forgot to mention airbag light is on but there's no fix? Is that part of safety reason or what's wrong with it? I have no idea. I get In it turn key and take off. I don't keep up on anything like that.

Might be a good idea. They had tie rod ends coming apart down the road, drive shafts coming apart, rear ends locking up, the air bags, some kind of fuel some thing or another over heating, etc.

Go to the NHTSA website and type vin # in.

Fiat/ Chrysler was forced to offer a buy back years ago. They have another more recent one out on those trucks again it looks like.

Till-Hill":310fm3tu said:
ALACOWMAN":310fm3tu said:
If I had that dodge I'd hang on to it,,,you'll eventually wish you had..
That's what all the Dodge guys are telling me. So far 1 set of front brakes, seal on the turbo, batteries have been only issues with it. It is worth almost what I paid for it according to guys who want an original non def 6.7 I guess. I just drive it. Don't really keep up on all that stuff. I've owned it since 20k

I've had nothing but good luck with my Dodge - Ram trucks. I had recall notices on both of my Ram trucks but never took either in for service. Between the two I've put 300k miles on them and never been broken down....yet.

About 8 yrs old 88k in 88 days more truck than you need. Good time to cash out. 8 is your lucky number.
I'd go with a 2018 V8 3/4 ton gas in the 8 months... or better yet buy it on 8/08/18
Miss Cleo

Latest posts