Should I be concerned about this cow? Should I do something?

Help Support CattleToday:

CowgirlUpNY

Reaction score
Had a cow calf last night. She's new to us, so I don't really know her calving history or her mothering skills. We don't run them into the barn, although if need be, we could put her in the barn if we run her through the chute and into the trailer.

She went about cleaning him off, but didn't do a bang up job about it. She talks to him and 'guards' him, but does not encourage him to suckle (no butt licking or anything like that.)

She's got a full bag, although it doesn't look uncomfortable full and every time he attempted to drink she would stand there for a bit, seem to get frustrated with his not finding the teat, then walk away. I ended up bottling him last night to be sure that he at least got his colostrum and this morning he didn't even show an interest in attempting to nurse from her. She pretty much lost interest in him throughout the day, but has begun to show her 'guarding of him' again this evening.

My questions are: If I just leave him be and stop interfering, will she do her job? Do I need to milk her out if he's not eating or will she dry up?

Thanks!

Red Bull Breeder":3h2e5cvw said:
Sounds like you need to show the calf where the milk comes from.

Yeah, kind of what I'm afraid of because that will mean running her through the chute and into the trailer. She won't stand still for me. She sees me coming and takes off. Oh well. That's all part of it. I'll get her in the barn, into the head stalls and give junior a lesson in milk supply. :lol:

Interfering will sometimes do more harm than good, problem is you don't have to big of a window when it comes to newborns. I like to use binoculars to check for things I need to be up close for. Such as if the moms teats are clean the calf is probably nursing if they have dirt on them such as months of non used probably not. If the calf gets up and seems strong should be okay, same with bm's. Newborns don't take much time to nurse then off to sleep.

Good luck,
Alan

Thanks Alan.

I try to not interfere (even though sometimes it's hard) but I also know with 'my' girls -- the ones I've raised, if I need to interfere, they seem to know I'm there to help.

I do teat check for cleanliness - that's always my sign of 'are they nursing' -- I can say with confidence he is not yet, which is why I wanted to be sure I got colostrum in him yesterday.

Will be going out to check on them in a bit. Maybe he'll have gotten hungry.

Happy to say that I've witnessed him nursing... not well, but nursing just the same.

So now I know the key.....

Begin to second guess myself and start getting concerned and then post here, and sure enough whatever it was I was worried about will prove me a worry-wart.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

glad to hear he is nursing for you now, dont feel bad i think we all worry to much sometimes about our own cows. i know this group here at home, i watch way to much, the group at the miller place i see less and worry less over and they sure seem to get long just fine

CowgirlUpNY":2jqhflcw said:
Happy to say that I've witnessed him nursing... not well, but nursing just the same.

So now I know the key.....

Begin to second guess myself and start getting concerned and then post here, and sure enough whatever it was I was worried about will prove me a worry-wart.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Been there and done that recently. First time in a long time LOL. 2 weeks ago happened to notice #26 going through the motions, up/down/up/down licking her sides, etc. peeped out the window at her from time to time (she's up in the field close to the house) then noticed things just didn't seem "right". Too much membranes hanging out, no more water, no progress being made for all her efforts, been more than 1 3/4 hours since first sight of water bag and feet. Before going out and getting her up and gloving-up and checking I decided to put in an 'on-notice' call to my regular vet that there was a poss. malpresentation. He's not available for 4 more hours, Called the 2 back-ups they suggested, 1 was retired, the other no longer does cows. Decided to call my former horse vet. All the while peeping out the window. Left a message for horse doc. By the time I had gotten my OB stuff together was about to go out the door, out pops the calf....normal presentation. Then the horse vet called, I felt stupid, we laughed but decided that from what I was seeing the possibility was real and yes, he most certainly would have come out to help had I needed it. :lol: He agreed, there's no sense in taking chances if ya don't have to.

Even though all went well, and I felt stupid (life has a way of maintaining humility) if I were to witness such an odd deal again like that I would probably do the same thing again.

It happens. :lol:

I'm glad for you that all seems to be going well.

Katherine