shots la200

Help Support CattleToday:

FTJ

Reaction score
Hello my calf has a cough very mild don't want it to get worse. I have la 200. I gave it to him last night , He is now sore were I gave him the shot where is the best place to give it to him. I gave him the shot between the rump and upper leg (quads area).
Thanks

Give it to the calf in the neck...close to the shoulder.

Also, ask the vet if maybe a stronger antibiotic would be better, like Nuflor. LA200 doesn't have what it takes to hit respiratory stuff with any kind of punch...that's just my 2 cents, now.

Alice

Does calf have a temp? Could use a shot of vitamins as well. Alice is right, you need to up the ante in the shots. Also, if temp is high (101.5 is norm, can vary a degree w/o any concern), might consider a shot of banamine. There is a muscle in the neck, in front of the shoulder, best place for shots ~ really the only place to give a shot. The banamine burns going in so calf will throw a fit, but helps a lot. When they are to weak to care is when it is a concern. If no temp, watch maybe. I hate to kill flys with a sledge hammer.

I read your post in the newbie section, and if i remember correctly, you said you were new at the cattle thing so...
Cows/calves get the shot in the neck and not the rump because the poor cuts of meat are in the neck and the sweet cut of meats are in the rump.
Injections cause damage to the meat, meat gets chucked at the butcher table.
Guideline is no more than 10cc in the one site, so you got to re poke if there is more than 10 cc.
IM is Intermuscular
SQ is under the skin.
Not all drugs are rated for both. There is one antibiotic that is given in the ear, gentlely i might add.
Do not mix drugs..a given
There are different size needles for different jobs
cows need 1.5" or greater, cause they have a real thick hide (close to 1"), would not believe it if i hadn't seen it myself in an older cow in the winter.
Calves are smaller
different guage
TALK TO A VET about the where why and how about injections! Please. Not to be rude, but what is done in the rump and the neck effects all of us. Injection lessions are a problem for packers, they end up tossing meat or down grading it, cost them money, slowly filters down to the feed lot and then the producer.
customers do not like it much finding a damaged chunk in there best Sunday roas either!

JMO
RR

Thank you all for all the wonderful help I am so glad I found this forum. You all have a wonderful day.

Thank you Rockridge for posting that. Someone has to go over the "basics" frequently to keep all of our cattle worth more.

By the way, did you get your member name from the city on Blazing Saddles. Sorry, I just had to ask. :lol:

cypressfarms":369onj2i said:
By the way, did you get your member name from the city on Blazing Saddles. Sorry, I just had to ask. :lol:

no I did not. We live in a rocky area. We can sort of grow grain, not bad but the trees, bush and native pasture are what we have alot of. When we break soil we are picking rocks "till the cows come home". So we named our farm, Rock Ridge Cattle Co.

and thanks, we all need a reminder of the basics occaissionally

It is also possible if he did it IM that he could have hit the bone if he/she was using too long of a needle and that would defiantly make me sore. :cboy:

LA 200 wont cut it try Draxxin at 1 ml per 100 lbs of body weight --its expensive so take your checkbook -- but then it is done

Simangus23

Latest posts