Shorthorn crosses

Help Support CattleToday:

Ashton V

Reaction score
I was wondering what the outcome and benefits of breeding black angus and black baldy heifers to a shorthorn bull would be?

depends on what KIND of shorthorn you use. There are shorthorns and then there are shorthorns. There are clubbies, there are od style, there are irish and english, there are Maine shorthorns, etc. Shorthorns are a very diverse breed of cattle, some the gene pool is very muddy, and a FEW are what Shorthorns were supposed to be.

Get a good beef shorthorn and you will have some great calves I run both shorthorn and angus they make good crossbreds will get some good maternal traits also. alt="blue roan"></a>/af85/tamarackaj/019.jpg[/img] a angus heifer and shorthorn steer calf i also get strait blk calves with roan bull.If you go with red sh bulls most calves will be red or blk.
octdrought004.jpg
Red sh bull calf with sh angus bred heifers bull calf was born april. ]My old herdsire sire of most of calves here.Good type of sh bull .
019.jpg
Something is wrong with photobucket will try pics again another time

Trying again
155.jpg
This is a pic of old herdsire 6years old after breeding 30 cows.
momb-day024.jpg
one of his calves off herford x sim cow
momb-day024.jpg
off her x char the right shorthorn bull will cross well with almost any breed.

I had a sim.short.ang. cow and she was great and she always had good heavy calves

And tamarack how much would you take for that bull you have in the first picture ;-) ;-)

Here are some calves out of both red and black Angus/Hereford cows bred Shorthorn.

Red baldy cow bred Shorthorn
tn_DSC04487.jpg

Another one
tn_DSC05243.jpg

Red and Black baldy bred SS
tn_DSC05242.jpg

Red baldy cow bred SS
tn_DSC06148.jpg

Red Baldy cow bred SS
tn_DSC06557.jpg

Black Baldy bred SS
tn_DSC06512.jpg

Red baldy bred SS
tn_DSC07009.jpg

Shorthorn cow x Black Angus
tn_DSC08533.jpg

Yearling out of Black baldy cow and Shorthorn bull
xy_DSC00101.jpg

Shorthorn cow x Red Angus bull
DSC05848.jpg

Red Angus cow x Shorthorn bull
xy_DSC00100.jpg

Cow, Black Baldy cow x Shorthorn
DSC05778.jpg

Shorthorn cow with Hereford sired calf.
DSC05062.jpg

Shorthorn cow x Hereford bull
DSC05055.jpg

sim.-ang.king said:
I had a sim.short.ang. cow and she was great and she always had good heavy calves

And tamarack ho much would you take for that bull you have in the first picture I think i will keep that one for myself but i have another one that is much the same sim-ang.
octdrought010.jpg

Ashton PM me and I can give you a bunch of good breeders names that are trying to make commercial friendly shorties. Also the most popular lines being promoted are for the most part show cattle and are bigger calving and very hard doing. I lost alot of money on shorties a few years back because of some bad choices on my part.

Tamarack, nice pics! Who is the big bull?

The big roan is DF Ignition i bought him as a yearling and has done very well for me he still is a sound bull very good feet and disposition he throws very nice heifers. he weighed 2300 lbs at turnout.Hope to get a few more calf crops from him.
spring018.jpg
A white bull calf off him i kept him and used on my black cows this summer hope for some great blue roans this spring.

I run some HerfxSH cows I bought from an Angus hater. They have a little bigger calf than most, milk better than most, and winter easy. The only downside of mine is that the udders are not great, but they are 10 to 15 year old cows so you have to factor that in.

Latest posts