Shop fan?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Any suggestions on a fan to move some air in a shop building? Been looking at some 24", 30" and 36" fans. Some say the drum fans are real noisy, which I don't want.

tom4018":1a5zv36n said:
Any suggestions on a fan to move some air in a shop building? Been looking at some 24", 30" and 36" fans. Some say the drum fans are real noisy, which I don't want.

I am all ears.
Cause everything I looked at that moves enough air comes with an air traffic controller.

circlebllc":5vvt9ccq said:
Squirrel cage fans. Build a box on wheels, insert fan and plug in. Move a lot of air, not very loud.

That's what I did, found a old junked gas furnace, cut the fire box off and part of the sheet metal case, it still says Carrier on it, mounted 4 caster wheels, Works Good.

I installed one of these last year for a customer in a horse barn we built. 10' "wingspan". Came with a $5k price tag but boy it moves the air. It's has a VFD and when it ramps up it sounds like a helicopter but once it reaches top speed it's really quite and only draws like 2.8 amps if I remember right. It was very minimal. I almost couldn't believe it was that efficient to run. It's made by Bigassfans.

I don't know who sells them , Ill look today , our truck mechanic has a real small portable squirrel cage that is both quiet and moves loads of air.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money yet want to get something that will make a real difference then you can't go past a 36" pedestal fan. I only paid about $160 for mine and it has made such a difference from being only able to work in my shed for about 1/2hr in summer to being able to work comfortably all day. Our humidity is usually fairly low when it is hot and I suspect that will help things a bit.

Ken

If you can make yourself spend the money a Porta-Cool is the way to go.

tom4018":10dccx5u said:

Youngest son is a HVAC tech. Has access to squirrel cage motors from old units. He pulled one out of an old unit and I have it on the floor in my shop, 50x30 and it moves air throughout the shop and does it quietly, like squirrel cage blowers do. It's about 13" in diameter and has different taps for fan speed. He must have wired it on high. Power cord plugged into regular duplex gets warm and it's a new enough duplex and I just put a new plug on it after I thought the old one was lossy.....it's the amps, not the plug. But it works and at 11 cents a kWH, I figure a buck a day is worth it.

Texasmark":392ofwr8 said:
tom4018":392ofwr8 said:

Youngest son is a HVAC tech. Has access to squirrel cage motors from old units. He pulled one out of an old unit and I have it on the floor in my shop, 50x30 and it moves air throughout the shop and does it quietly, like squirrel cage blowers do. It's about 13" in diameter and has different taps for fan speed. He must have wired it on high. Power cord plugged into regular duplex gets warm and it's a new enough duplex and I just put a new plug on it after I thought the old one was lossy.....it's the amps, not the plug. But it works and at 11 cents a kWH, I figure a buck a day is worth it.

Clamped my Amprobe on it yesterday and it's sucking 7 amps. Must be a ¾ hp motor. So, at 11c/kWHr that runs me less than a dime per hour. I can stand that.

Latest posts