sheath full of urine

Help Support CattleToday:

jp

Reaction score
Just wonderin if anyone else has seen this. Noticed the sheath on a two and a half week old bull calf seemed swollen this morning. felt it, was full of liquid and the opening was scabbed over. Calf is looking good, eating and nursing. Called vet, he said give him pennicillin and watch him. If he gets worse, call or if no improvement in 48 hours, call. He said if the only problem is the scabb it might fix itself, if not we'll go from there.I'm trusting him cause he is a very good vet. talked to a few cattlemen near me that never saw this problem before and I'm just wonderin if anyone on here has. thanks, jp

Saw something like that in a pig once... did you, um, open it up? If he's truly completely blocked up he may be dead in 48 hours. He does need to be able to urinate. If he's not completely blocked he may be OK for now (this pig was finished out and butchered), but you're at risk of losing him at any time.

And I assume you ruled out the other possible causes for swelling - hernia, navel ill?

We had to take a 2 week old bull calf to the vet 3 months ago to get him opened up, he had the same problem , but doing good now. If i were you i would get him opened up soon.

Either a navel infection or the calf has a hernia. If you can feel it and it is hard, call the vet and have him put a "T" cut in the area to let the fluids drain. Should heal up just fine if diagnosed and treated correctly.

The scab is opened this evening and sheath is looking much better, I will continue penn shot for 2 more days and keep a close eye on him.jp

Latest posts