Shaver beefblend

Help Support CattleToday:

Boldcat

Reaction score
Anyone here have any experience with Shavers .
Last spring my breeder had some Shaver semen in his tank so I thought I'd insemminate a couple Simmental cows and see what happens .
One of the cows got an intestinal blockage about 45 days ago and I had to put her down . The other one is due to calve any day .

All I've seen of them - other than pics and ads - was a group of half-Shaver bred heifers sell in a sale a few years ago. They were outstanding. Real deep and easy-fleshing, moderate, good feet. Good hair and real quiet too. But, like I said they were half bloods.

From what I've read about Shaver and his original plan for the development of the breed, it was a lifetime worth of effort into a very well thought out breeding program. In a way, it's a shame to see it not succeed, as there are very few breeders left. The Doc died a year or two ago I believe.

Not that the beef industry needs another breed though, in all honesty.

A friend of mine has been using Shaver Bulls for about 8 years and is quite happy with them. We also have a pen of them in the feedlot at work and they do quite well.

TK

Purecountry , do you know what the other breed was in the cross ?
As far as I know a Shaver is a composite consisting of (I think) 9 differant breeds , not including hereford or angus .

I've never been able to find anything on the internet about them .

TK Ranch , What breed does your friend use the shaver bulls on ?

Boldcat- Playing games with semen tanks is similar to playing "Spin the Bottle" - - you are liable to get something you didn't expect! Usually breeding "just to see what happens" isn't the most desirable or optimal way of improving you breeding herd.

DOC HARRIS

Yeah, one of my commercial buyers uses a Shaver bull on the females he buys from us. It's got a lot of breeds in it, including Red Poll, Hereford, Shorthorn and others. His bull is a little on the lean side and is pretty flat-sided, but the calves grow like bad weeds.

I found a site for the breed in New Zealand. Turns out that that bull on the front page looks almost identical to the one that my buyer runs. Long and lean.
http://www.shaverbeef.co.nz/content.php?content.1

Don Shaver developed the breed (much like Harry Hays with Hays Converter). I guess Don called it quits though, as I found his auction listing on the Net. Don used to have a website with the history of the breed, but no point anymore I guess.

Clearing Auction Of Three Separate Parcels of Farmland; Farm Equipment; Shaver Beefblend cows and bulls; Feed; Household and Miscellaneous items held 6 km. north of Milverton on Rd. 119, then west on Line 76 to Fire #4688 on: Wednesday, March 22 at 10 a.m. FARM 1: This farm known as East Half Lot 5 Line 76 Mornington twp is approx. 100 acres with approx 84 acres workable and 4 acres hardwood bush. Situated on this farm is a modern 120 ft. x 76 ft. steel clad barn with 12 ft. centre feed alley suitable for approx. 200 head with attached 80 ft. x 70 ft. covered manure storage area and a 30 ft. x 20 ft. processing area. Water for this versatile set-up is supplied from a drilled well. FARM 2: This farm known as West Half Lot 6 Line 76 of Mornington twp is approx. 100 acres with approx. 90 acres workable and 6 acres bush. Situated on this farm is a two storey double brick 4 bedroom home with 20 ft. x 26 ft. newer family room, new cherry kitchen and two complete bathrooms. The large L shaped bank barn with attached lean is set up with loose pens and has grain and hay storage above. The 26 ft. x 62 ft. shed is partially insulated. There is also a 40 ft. x 80 ft. hay shed with concrete floor and two 5000 bu. steel granaries with aeration flooring. Water is supplied form a drilled well. FARM 3: This farm known as East Half Lot 6 and Part West Half Lot 7 Line 76 in Mornington twp is approx. 118 acres with approx. 70 acres workable. Situated on this farm is an aluminum clad 1 1/2 storey, 3 bedroom frame home, with two full bathrooms. This farm also has a stocked bass pond and would be an ideal farm for someone looking to built their dream home. NOTE: To view these farms, call Don at (519) 621-1719. Each farm will be offered separate and farms one and two will also be offered as a package. Properties will be offered at 1 p.m. TERMS ON PROPERTIES: 10% down payment day of sale. Balance in 60 days. Selling subject to reasonable reserve. Full list of equipment, cattle and feed to follow. Proprietor: Don Shaver and Shaver Beef Breeding Farms Ltd. (519) 621-1719 AUCTIONEER: Doug Jacob (519) 271-7894 and Gerber Auctions (519) 699-4451 `

Aaron , Thanks for the link . I see shavers don't have simmental in them so it will be intersting to see the results of hybrid vigor .

Doc , "nothing ventured nothing gained " .
It was only 2 cows , if the results are lacking the hiefer will go to slaughter and the bull will be a steer regardless of the result.
Thanks anyway ,

They aren't out of business.

Their are Shaver Beefblends on test in AB.

mtnman

As for breeders there is a big breeder just outside of Brandon Manitoba. Cicle H ranch I think. Boldcat my friend has a comercial herd of around 200. A mix of everything I help him in the fall with vaccinations ect and he has some nice calves off of those bulls.

TK

Well I finnally got my Shaver cross Simmental calf tonight .
I checked cows at 6:00 and at 8:30 there was a calf on the ground . This calf has a nice shape for calving ease and is very vigorous . Probably around 80 pounds .
Oh , it's a red baldy , hiefer .

Boldcat":1embhkkc said:
I checked cows at 6:00 and at 8:30 there was a calf on the ground . This calf has a nice shape for calving ease and is very vigorous . Probably around 80 pounds .
Pics or it didn't happen

Black an Gus":3vh8xgtc said:
Boldcat":3vh8xgtc said:
Pics or it didn't happen

This is 10 yrs old.

Bestoutwest":1nhkxecw said:
Black an Gus":1nhkxecw said:
Boldcat":1nhkxecw said:
Pics or it didn't happen

This is 10 yrs old.
I'm just curious... ;-)

Latest posts