Sexed Seman

Help Support CattleToday:

BigReach

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been discussed before but I've been reading about sexed semen and some sources say that it has a much lower conception rate others say it's about the same. Does anyone have any experience with it?

lots of variables with it. There are two different ways they can sort it which makes a difference, and it just simply works better with some bulls vs others. Typically the dose is .25cc instead of .5cc so it defiantly can have a much lower conception rate especially if the tech isn't very good.

the biggest thing with the sexed is the timing, you wait until 18 hours instead of 12.
best way to describe the reason is, conventional has a shell on the sperm that takes 6 hours to shed, with the sexed the shield is already off.
I get along just fine with it.
if you get confident in using it, could be a money maker, what would all steer calves be worth to the commercial guy? with that know it isn't 100% accurate sometimes the other sex will show up.

I've had a lot of success over the years using sexed semen. The key for me is to breed based off natural heats rather than timed A.I. and do the inseminating about 18 hours after observing a standing heat. My conception rate has been about the same as with conventional semen. Highly recommend sexed semen.

Latest posts