senepol blood???

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
One of my employees, it turns out has a large trust fund, and has several businesses set up, one of which is a cattle business. They produce Senepols and Angus - mostly seedstock, but they do cross the two. They have two sales a year, by invitation only - I think the farm name is crazy 8; she's added me to the invited list. Her farm has got one Senepol bull that was very expensive that LSU wants to collect semen from. They are also buying two more Senepol bulls, one homo black, one hetero black. All registered.

My question is would it be worth it to get some semen from one of these bulls to cross with some of my brangus/angus? I'm sure she would let me have the semen dirt cheap.

Any thoughts?

Several years ago the manager of a large FL ranch told a group at the Noble Foundation that he was using Senapols heavily and expected to replace most of the Brahman in his herd with Senapol. The Kerr Foundation here in OK has done a lot of research on the breed. They used to promote them pretty strongly. But you just don't see them in many commercial herds, at least not here in OK. I'd be interested to know why they haven't been widely accepted by commercial cattlemen.

Frankie":2ugsxz6z said:
Several years ago the manager of a large FL ranch told a group at the Noble Foundation that he was using Senapols heavily and expected to replace most of the Brahman in his herd with Senapol. The Kerr Foundation here in OK has done a lot of research on the breed. They used to promote them pretty strongly. But you just don't see them in many commercial herds, at least not here in OK. I'd be interested to know why they haven't been widely accepted by commercial cattlemen.

Probably because they would produce red calves and not black ones

so Senepol has gone black too?

I dont care for Senepol cattle. Senegus are probably ok.

cypress, you have a good thing going with your herd now. dont mess it up.

Beefy":1m868mr0 said:
so Senepol has gone black too?

I dont care for Senepol cattle. Senegus are probably ok.

cypress, you have a good thing going with your herd now. dont mess it up.

Not trying to change the direction of my herd. I will always (at least for the for see-able future) have at least 50% angus in all of my cattle, but was wondering if the senepol could be substituted for brahman blood; and if so what kind of results. I'm not one for walking on the edge, and brahmans have proven their worth, but I still wonder if Senepol and Tuli may have some better qualities to add to the mix.

Just throwing around thoughts.

I cant speak for Tuli's but the Senepols have been tried by some good cattlemen. They seem to have come up a bit lacking. One breeder that comes to mine is the RA Brown ranch out of Throckmorton, Texas. They give em a whirl, and moved on to something else. Those folks have some top flight cattle, if they werent impressed, I wouldnt waste my time Cypress

Beefy is right,don't be too quick to change direction cypress.
I have no experience with Senepol,Tuli have much to offer,mainly as the F1 female. The only negative comments on the Tuli is their size, being a medium breed, Hardiness,fertility,exelent udders and quality of their beef make them a good choice in crossbreeding programms in hot and humid areas, especially as a high degree of heterosis is expressed in both Bos Taurus and Bos Indicus crosses to Tuli.
Some pictures posted on this website might be of interest;
http://www.tuli.co.za/ click on photo album.
All the best,Andy.

The only Senepols I've seen have been show cattle at the Alabama National Fair in Montgomery. The ones I've seen have been extremely fine boned and light muscled.

Andybob":eu5ejc4w said:
Some pictures posted on this website might be of interest;
http://www.tuli.co.za/ click on photo album.
All the best,Andy.
Andybob, are all the cattle cattle pics posted on this website Tulis. The bulls look to be pretty well muscled. The cows are not very easy to see.

la4angus,yes these are all regestered Tulis, cows are light at at about 1100-1200 ibs, bulls 1900-2000lbs, they maintain condition under very adverse conditions,most of the cattle pictured are in the harsh Northern territory of South Africa, some of my origional bloodlines are represented there, My in laws have never looked back since using Tuli in Namibia under desert conditions, they use Red Angus for terminal crosses with top grades on the hook under adverse conditions.
Check the American Tuli Breeders Association website for some clear cow pictures and local information.

I bought a Synagus bull last year. He was the best looking bull I'd looked at while bull shopping. He was solid shiny black - real short, sleek hair. He was in my pasture about a total of 2 weeks of the 2 mts I owned him. There wasn't a fence on the place he wouldn't clear just to see if he could. I did get 2 calves that had to have been out of him. I have kept the heifer and sold the steer. She's a beauty, we'll see how her calves look.