Semen tank question

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmgirl

Reaction score
We are looking at buying a tank for short-term use (i.e. to transfer a few straws from time to time. We are considering a used tank. I know many of you advise against a used tank but that is not my question.

Question is: If you found a tank that had not been filled for a couple of years, assuming if was in good working order before that, would that influence you against that tank? Will sitting empty cause the tank to be more likely to fail when used again?

Thanks,
Farmgirl

Farmgirl":2fo0ls0w said:
We are looking at buying a tank for short-term use (i.e. to transfer a few straws from time to time. We are considering a used tank. I know many of you advise against a used tank but that is not my question.

Question is: If you found a tank that had not been filled for a couple of years, assuming if was in good working order before that, would that influence you against that tank? Will sitting empty cause the tank to be more likely to fail when used again?

Thanks,
Farmgirl

The "Insulation" in a semen tank is actually a vacuum. Sooner or later that vacuum is released. Yes, the tank could be used if left unfilled. But............
The only way to check a tank is to fill it with nitrogen and see how long it takes for the nitrogen to evaporate.
Different tanks are built to hold the nitrogen for different lengths of time. Each time he comes to fill my tank, the filler takes a measurement of the nitrogen with a yardstick and writes it down. We will know when my tank is going bad by this record.

The "shipper" tanks are another story in that they have an absorbant material in them that holds the nitrogen for short lengths of time.

Several years ago I purchased a used tank from my semen dealer and used it for 6 years before I sold it. I never had any problem. Sitting unused should not effect the tanks holding ability unless it has been in a place where it could have developed rust or small holes. As Mike C said the vacuum provides the insulation and the holes could be so small you can't see them. The only way to be sure would be to ask the owner if you could have the tank filled and see if it will hold properly. Tanks can hold for periods of 8 to 26 weeks depending on model. Measure daily and if nitrogen seems to deplete quickly don't buy.

Latest posts