Selling the family farm?

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
A fellow has been trying to buy the family tree farm for several years. He stopped by the other day and offered a price that would enable me to buy a farm twice the size and value of the current one. Recently, I have been introduced to cattle farming and I find that enjoy it much more than watching trees grow although I dont think it is as profitable as growing trees. With the money this guy is offering I could buy another tree farm plus a nice size cattle operation and increase my yearly earnings. My wife and I have had a goal of owning X amount of acres with a house and cattle. The sale would enable us to reach our goal 15 years earlier.Would you sell the farm that had been in your family for generations to double the size of your farm an better insure your famalies finacial security or hold on to the farm for centamental(sp) reasons?

i would hold on to the family farm but thats just me. in my case not only for sentimental reasons but also b/c there is a lot of room for expansion in the coming years (got some old neighbors). the logical thing to do would be to sell in your case it seems. thats one you will have to weigh out yourself, we cant really help you. just curious, what kind of tree farm. like planted pines for timber or landscaping trees?

Beefy":2r4hyvix said:
i would hold on to the family farm but thats just me. in my case not only for sentimental reasons but also b/c there is a lot of room for expansion in the coming years (got some old neighbors). the logical thing to do would be to sell in your case it seems. thats one you will have to weigh out yourself, we cant really help you. just curious, what kind of tree farm. like planted pines for timber or landscaping trees?
I'm with you Beefy. I'd have a hard time selling the farm we live on too. It was bought by us, but had belonged to family members since the Civil War. It changed hands several times, and was split in half, and recently, we bought most of the other half back. We have some elderly neighbors with a good sized old farm, next to us, that was recently logged, and we would be the first buyer in line when it comes up for sale, allowing us to once again, expand. Call me sentimental, but I would not sell this place to enable me to expand elsewhere. I'll expand one piece at a time, if that's the only way it'll work.

denoginnizer":2tfvtfh7 said:
A fellow has been trying to buy the family tree farm for several years. He stopped by the other day and offered a price that would enable me to buy a farm twice the size and value of the current one. Recently, I have been introduced to cattle farming and I find that enjoy it much more than watching trees grow although I dont think it is as profitable as growing trees. With the money this guy is offering I could buy another tree farm plus a nice size cattle operation and increase my yearly earnings. My wife and I have had a goal of owning X amount of acres with a house and cattle. The sale would enable us to reach our goal 15 years earlier.Would you sell the farm that had been in your family for generations to double the size of your farm an better insure your famalies finacial security or hold on to the farm for centamental(sp) reasons?

Are you the only family member involved in the farm or do you have sisters/brothers who have an attachment to the place? If so, you'll just have to make that decision. If you have sisters/brothers/mom/dad involved, you might want to see how they feel about letting the place go.

Several years ago we built a house on the family place. We rent out my mother's house since she's been gone. I'd like to sell it, but half of my extended family (cousins, nieces, nephews) grew up there. Though they don't go into the house when they're back visiting, they like to drive by and know it's still there. So for the foreseeable future, we'll be dealing with rentors.

i'd sell it & go for somthing bigger. seen alot of people get stuck in that situation because of relatives. don't ever see these same relatives help pay for anything do you? if you were in financial trouble & in danger of losing it i would guess they still would only feel bad for you & them. but it is your decision, but make it for you not them.

I am the only owner. I do have sisters who are attached to the property. I would sell it to them for the price I have been offered . I think that is the only fair thing to do. Otherwise, I am seriously leaning towards buying a much bigger, more valuable farm.

I would sell it .. especially if it means you and your family can realize your dreams early. Life is short.... you don't get many opportunities to reach a goal. What would you gain by waiting another 15 years?

I've seen a lot of families that hold on to the "family farm", and for what? Are your kids going to have the same attachment?

denoginnizer":1nkgpayt said:

Are you prepared for your families farm to possibly become a land developement? Should that happen, are you ready to accept it and go on? If so, then I see nothing wrong with selling - as it will allow you to realize your dreams 15 years earlier.

Why not hold on to it till the pines are ready for harvest then put it in cattle with the money made off the pines.

denoginnizer":3hhtb6y3 said:
I am the only owner. I do have sisters who are attached to the property. I would sell it to them for the price I have been offered . I think that is the only fair thing to do. Otherwise, I am seriously leaning towards buying a much bigger, more valuable farm.

Well, you gotta do what you gotta do and, hopefully, your sisters will understand. Good luck and keep us updated on your move. It sounds like you're about to make some serious changes in your lifestyle.:D

Bama":2rlts4jt said:
Why not hold on to it till the pines are ready for harvest then put it in cattle with the money made off the pines.
To long before any income will be realized.

If you know of a place you can buy you might ought to go for it. In my neck of the woods land of any size is tough to find, we've picked smaller places up around our home place as we've been able. I tend to be sentemental, but our home place was orginally bought by my grandfather, he always told us the only reason you sell land is to buy more land. Makes me wonder what he would do if he were here, :?:

I would sell it if it were mine-especially if I could go and buy a place double the size of what I have now. The considerate thing to do would be to offer the property to your siblings at the price offered to you, explain that this is your family's life that is at stake-you can make it better for your self and for them. If they choose not to purchase it that's their choice. You never know what might happen down the road-we're not promised tomorrow-make the best of today. Good luck in whatever choice you make. :D

What ever the man wants the tree farm for, he is seeing a profit above what he offers. If you hate to see the trees cut, he is going to do it anyway if that is the reason. If you have the trees cut, then select cut the trees and make it look more like a park. Then replant. He could cut the trees and make it look like a tornado ripped it up. If you cut the trees, then take the money that he was going to offer you, then buy the farm you and your wife want and you will still have the tree farm. I have trouble selling land. There will be no more land. Keep what you have and add to it.

Sell if you can but be VERY careful around here land prices have doubled in 18 months or so, I know of a number of people that have been "took" by to good a deal to pass up an they could have got alot more money just listing it or puttin the land up for auction. Also Have another piece of land bought (with a contract) BEFORE you sell, would be ashame to sell and not have a place to go.

Just my 2 cents worth good luck

MD

Latest posts