Sell or Finish?

Help Support CattleToday:

mcdowedd

Reaction score
I have a 500 lb. steer that I bought this summer to feed out and sell for slaughter (more for the experience than anything..I am starting a herd, but want to try everything). However, from reading this discussion board, it looks like I may end up losing money if I do that, but would actually make a few hundred $ if I sell him now. What would you guys do with him?

mcdowedd":3timd9i2 said:
I have a 500 lb. steer that I bought this summer to feed out and sell for slaughter (more for the experience than anything..I am starting a herd, but want to try everything). However, from reading this discussion board, it looks like I may end up losing money if I do that, but would actually make a few hundred $ if I sell him now. What would you guys do with him?
If you have access to bulk feed and don't have to feed out of a sack...I might finish him. But if you have to the elevator to get 50 lb bags you will loose your hinney.

miss certs loose your hinny.if you wanted to feed him out an put him in your freezer id say go for it.but selling a finushed steer is hard todo.id sale him now.scott

Latest posts