self darkening welding helmets

Help Support CattleToday:

hopalong

Reaction score
A few days ago I was at a neighbors helping him put up a pipe and sucker rod fence> he insisted I try his new welding helmet, one of those self darkening ones.

Being kind of partial to my old Jackson I was reluctant, but tried it. 10 minutes later I was sold. Called my supplier on my way home and ordered one for myself. Didn't really break the bank either $75.00 and he delivered it to my door of course I also ordered some gas too lol.
I really was empressed, was able to actually see what I was getting ready to weld before I struck an arc, changed a rod without ever raising the hood. Do not know for sure but seems like my neck feels better not having to dip my head before strikeing an arc.

WOW is all i can say :D :D

I went to those a few years ago and I hate it when the battery goes dead and I have to use the old one. They are nice.

hopalong":2p3j0p5m said:
A few days ago I was at a neighbors helping him put up a pipe and sucker rod fence> he insisted I try his new welding helmet, one of those self darkening ones.

Being kind of partial to my old Jackson I was reluctant, but tried it. 10 minutes later I was sold. Called my supplier on my way home and ordered one for myself. Didn't really break the bank either $75.00 and he delivered it to my door of course I also ordered some gas too lol.
I really was empressed, was able to actually see what I was getting ready to weld before I struck an arc, changed a rod without ever raising the hood. Do not know for sure but seems like my neck feels better not having to dip my head before strikeing an arc.

WOW is all i can say :D :D
Yes sir! Only way to fly!

Jogeephus":3ujpfi8o said:
I went to those a few years ago and I hate it when the battery goes dead and I have to use the old one. They are nice.
I've got a solar one. The only draw back is I have to close my eyes whe nI strike the first arc. That arc charges the battery enough that form then on it works perfect.

That sounds interesting. I haven't seen those but i also try to stay out of the welding supply store cause I'm weak willed.

Jogeephus":3evyfnf9 said:
That sounds interesting. I haven't seen those but i also try to stay out of the welding supply store cause I'm weak willed.
I got mine from Northern Tool about 5 years ago. Maybe they don;t make them anymore

Sure am gonna get one.I too tried one out and do like it.
Don't need to be in any hurry to get it here in Tex.It's so hot and dry and windy you don't need to be welding outside your shop.I think also it's a $500 fine if your caught welding,and it should be.

Cal

I'm fixing to have to buy some stuff to do some stainless steel welding on a couple of projects I'm working on so I'm going to check with my supplier and see if he carries them. Heck, for what I'll be spending he might ought to through one in for customer appreciation.

dun":3k4zamgy said:
I've got a solar one. The only draw back is I have to close my eyes whe nI strike the first arc. That arc charges the battery enough that form then on it works perfect.

Solar's the only way to go. I have an old $49.95 helmet from Harbor Freight about 10 years old. It works great, and has adjustable darkness level. If I haven't used it in a while I just sit it out in the sun for a few minutes before getting started. No problemo.

Auto shades are nice for some applicatoins, but don't throw away your old lid! I am a full time welding instructor and my students think auto shades are the only thing to use till we get into low amp TIG. The sensors won't pick up the light on some lids and you'll get flashed. A fixed shade also helps when you have to peek through a hole to get to a hard to reach spot where the light can't get to your sensors.

I know one thing and it is a heck of a lot easier to teach someone to weld with the auto darkening or to learn what ever the case may be. Funny but I still find my self shaking my head to tilt my hood before I strike the arc.

I'm a full time welder at the shop. Weld gates, front ends, floors, etc. Got one of the old glories. Been thinking about the auto darkening helmet for a while. Thinking I may have to break down and get one.

Bought a new Miller welder 12 years ago, and they threw in a auto helmet. If you don't have a auto welding helmet, your living in the dark ages.

mridgecattleco":26gnnx01 said:
Auto shades are nice for some applicatoins, but don't throw away your old lid! I am a full time welding instructor and my students think auto shades are the only thing to use till we get into low amp TIG. The sensors won't pick up the light on some lids and you'll get flashed. A fixed shade also helps when you have to peek through a hole to get to a hard to reach spot where the light can't get to your sensors.

Really? Mine darkens just with the grinder going. That's what I don't like about it. My old ones always had a flip lens. I can't grind with the auto darkening. Other than that, I like it.

So does every helmet i have looked into, in fact , mine will darken just using a striker for my torch. I do not have a problem doing mig or tig, maybe you need to set your sensitivity, if you are ahving that problem

Latest posts