seems hopeless

Help Support CattleToday:

Grand Chaser

Reaction score
I have this 9 month old heifer i have posted pics of before[mossy oak] and i can't seem to get her to settle down. every time i get her caught and tie her up she will stand still and not fight at all. but when i come up to her she flipps out and pulls back jumps up tries to paw at me and she has already kicked me 4 times while i've tried to catch her. but i'm afraid shes going to hurt herself or me. and my dad would be realy mad and she's HIS heifer but he won't help me with her at all. i'm all out of ideas other than to pump her full of everclear when i go to mess with her. all suggestions will be helpfullbecause i;m out of them.

Thank you!
Tori

Tori,
Did you buy her at the Al. sale? If so who did she come from? Have you tried brushing her with a broom until she settles down? I had to do that with my steer last year and once he relized that when he jump around and acted crazy that I was not going anywhere and that I was not going to hurt him.

What is Everclear? I am gonna guess that it is a calming drug. I have never used those on my cattle, and have been just fine. Depending on drugs for training and showing is just asking for trouble. JMO

Here is what I would do.

Try to get her to settle down while she is not tied up. Just sit out by her feed when you feed her and make her come to you to eat.

When you do calm her down this way, tie her up and brush her with a broom. (yes, a broom, it has the feeling of a brush, but you are far enough away from her to not get kicked.)

Once she is calmed down like that, brush her with your normal daily-care brush.

Once she is calmed down and you can scratch her from head to tail, belly and feet. THEN try leading her to food/water.

It will be a slow process, I know. But I think it would be best to gain her trust and respect than to force her on a tractor and have her 'put up with you'.

Good Luck. Keep on her, with a little time she may come around.

Just remember, if she doesnt come around. Nothin that they give away at a show is worth sacraficing your safety. If you are not comfortable with her come show time, feel no shame in leaving her home.

I know some people who have used it, they said it worked. I myself would go with Ace, but I only used it once because my heifer tryed to ride everyone and every calf at the barn. So we Aced her to show her that day then she went to the paster with the club bull of the jock I got her from. But I had a good friend who use the calf calm pellet they said they worked, we ALL hate the paste but they said the pellet really did help. GOOD LUCK

Everclear is 150% alcohol and it works verry well on cattle that won't settle down at a show or won't stand still to clip. btu see i can walk up to her when she's eating now and rub her all over her head neck and body. but still when i tie her up and go to touch her head or neck she freaks. and when she dose i jsut stand there holding the lead hoping she thinks its me holding her in place. yes and i finally named her because she is a very femine heifer and adorable i named her ginger... its a very misleading name lol.

thanks for all the info!

Well if she gots worse you've always got the Everclear for yourself, LOL you may need it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Forgot to say Congrats it sounds like she's getting a lil better, some of them just take a lil more time then others. Had a calf like that once did think she'ed every be showon but turns out she was one of the best acting one's after all that. Just stick in there she will come around.

never tried everclear how do you do it. we have a few bottles here and there. i have used ace, calf calm paste, meletion. they all worked ok

The thing with using alcohol is it can go either way. It will either calm the animal or make them the total opposite. Plus you may have to sign her up for AA. I would go with melatonin or a melatonin based supplement like Grow and Shine.

Latest posts