seed mixture

Help Support CattleToday:

If you hadn't been in Mississippi I would've said a combination of low alkaloid reed canary grass, orchard grass, and birds foot tree foil. What about a perennial warm season grass given your location? :2cents:

Are you talking winter pasture? Id so its hard to beat ryegrass. Aka winter rye.

Winter grass, I use rye/oats 25/25# (gulf this year) per acre and about 2# purple top turnip. We plot graze about 4 hours a day. Don't forget the high mag minerals.
I live six miles from the MS gulf coast. With a good shower a week we have plenty.
Take a soil sample and don't skimp.
Google MSUCARES, MS State University, they have great info. Also, present workshops throughout the year.

Dixieangus":3e8dtomi said:
A good seed mixture for pasture. About 15 acres. I was thinking annual, fescue, little clover, etc. Your opinions please.

If you are in USDA hardiness zone 7a I will agree with your thoughts.

This would be a early spring through fall pasture hook, but i have no experience with anything other than rye. I was planning on planting it end of december but didnt know if fescue or clover could survive untile spring

Dixieangus":rb6mogft said:
This would be a early spring through fall pasture hook, but i have no experience with anything other than rye. I was planning on planting it end of december but didnt know if fescue or clover could survive untile spring

Is your experience with rye grass or cereal rye (grain)? Fescue and clover are the basis for my grass fed feeder calf producing operation. Fescue and clover makes a lot of forage and produces over many months. For me the fescue is best planted in Sept to enable the fescue to establish a good root system to aid in getting through the following Summer. i want clover planted after the fescue is established. You may or may not know that there are some issues with fescue resulting from endophyte. You may want to do some research on the subject.

Even though i dont know what endophytes are i am aware that they cause variouse problems . You can get endophyte free seed. I think i may just plant rye and then either let the native pasture come after that or plant a little clover.

Latest posts