Seed Catalogs

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
I must be crazy.
I just got two different seed catalogs in the mail and with about an inch of snow on the ground and the fact it is just in the teens I am already planning my garden.
My only problem with these catalogs is they send the plants in March or April and it is still too cold to plant them. Even after I put them in the basement;(It's cool down there.) The plants still die.
Any suggestions?
It's not super warm down there, maybe in the 40's.
Local greenhouse does not always have the plants i want.

ILH - If you are crazy than I am too. I love getting those catalogs and planning the garden. Gives me something to hope for in Jan! No tips for you on keeping the plants alive that early though. Anytime I try to start something early I forget to water them and they die anyway :roll:

I bought one of those light-weight but strong adjustable shelving units. It has wire shelves and shelves are adjustable in height. I start all my seed early and if its going to get too cold, I bring them in and put them on the shelving unit. When you don't need it, you can easily pull it apart and stick it some place out of the way. Its perfect for plants.

I luv herfrds":2llsg7bs said:
I must be crazy.
I just got two different seed catalogs in the mail and with about an inch of snow on the ground and the fact it is just in the teens I am already planning my garden.
My only problem with these catalogs is they send the plants in March or April and it is still too cold to plant them. Even after I put them in the basement;(It's cool down there.) The plants still die.
Any suggestions?
It's not super warm down there, maybe in the 40's.
Local greenhouse does not always have the plants i want.

No, you're not crazy. :lol: A good gardener is planning their garden way before time to plant! ;-) I don't think I would put plants in the basement, though - a little too chilly, plus there might be a problem with adequate light. Since gardening covers both vegetables and flowers, what types of plants are you ordering? If flowers, you might want to check into Springhill Nurseries. I ordered from them when I lived in Georgia, and their shipping times were perfect for planting time. I can't help you with ordering vegetables, as I usually pick mine up from local (or not so local) nurseries. :lol:

I ordered my 2008 seed around Thanksgiving. I bought from Rupp, Siegers, and Holmes seed companies. I've used Rupp for many years, Holmes last year, and Siegers is new. I've always liked Siegers product but you have to buy so much. I'm getting only 5 varieties from them but they are new and cool ones I can't get elsewhere. It'll get shipped in April.

Ordered some raspberries, blueberries, and new vegtable seeds. Placed my order with Henry Fields. Not too bad of luck with them. Have not had the best luck with Gurney's since the new owners took over.
Going to bug my husband about getting a small greenhouse so I can put my plants in there while I wait for it to warm up.
Already discussing where we are going to plant different vegtables, like the cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and others. Guess I will start them and put them up in the friut tree orchard and hope the husband does not til them or mow them.
Think I need a bigger garden, but there is no room in my present garden space.

I used to be a regular Henry Fields customer, and still like them. My favorite for the last several years has been Shumway's, in large part because of the variety, including "antique" selections, and the catalog is a retro style. Grandpa raised a half acre garden into his 90's, even the year he died. We always planned it early, from the time we were ten years old or so, sitting on the arms of his recliner, or leaning over the back of it looking at seed catalogs with him. We were his laborers in the garden for things like running the front tine tiller. He manned the garden hoe, but was too crippled in his knees to run the tiller. He actually purchased most of his seed, and about all of his plants from the local Co-op.

I am going to order from Park Seed this year. The lady I clean for swears by them. She is a master gardener from CSU.
Their prices seem a lot less than others too. They have a biodome and a window sill starter box. You can order refills also.
As far as the actual plants go, just call them and ask them.

I got my seeds and can hardly wait to plant them, but it would be too soon up here. I killed some tomatos one year by starting them early. Got hit with a nasty cold snap and froze them in the window I had them in.
Will probably start them the first of April so they are ready to plant in May.

:heart: Herfs, Don't send in your order till after the 15th of April. :cowboy:

Latest posts