Second calf born dead

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have a Black Baldie cow just had her second calf, it was born dead same thing happened last year as a heifer. She's a really nice cow weights about 1300#s, in good shape, had her shots, had everything she needs to do things right. She's out of chance's, I can't decide weather to take her to the sale barn or put her up feed her alittle while and put her in the freezer. anyone ever slaughter one at 4 years old?

I have some calves I'm feeding for freezer beef 1 for myself and a couple to sell, I gave $1150.00 for her 2 1/2 years ago, didn't know if she'd bring that or if I could eat her and sell the one I'm keeping for myself and get more out of it. I just don't how the meat would turn out.

We put one in the freezer in 2010 that was 4...we are still eating her..lol.. She yielded almost 1000 pounds of meat. She was and is delish.. Steaks covered the whole plate, like the Flintson's brontosaurus steaks..
With one who has just calved, i'm not sure how long you'll need to wait before you slaughter her. She'll have birthing hormones in her blood and her meat will be watery and smell funny. I'm sure you can talk to your butcher and find out how long to wait.

We've put a couple in the freezer that old. Really good hamburger and steaks for chicken fried steak/stir fry/braising/etc... If cow prices are down and you need beef, I'd probably put her in the freezer. That's what we just did with a 3 year old jersey heifer that ran out of chances.

Any chance of getting a big strong bottle calf from the sale barn, for her to earn her keep for 8-12 weeks?

We've butchered cows 5 yrs old + and they make Excellent hamburger. Have the butcher cut out the tenderloin for steaks.
Tenderloins are great at any age because it's a muscle that never gets exercised, so never gets tough. We had the butcher cut
out a few small roasts for the crock pot and a few packages of soup bones from the neck with enough meat left on the bones
to make them worth it. The rest was ground into hamburger. Or sometimes 20-40 lbs ground with 5-10 lbs of pork for hot dogs.
IF you don't like liver, it makes an excellent treat for cats and dogs.