Seafood ???

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
Going into the city tomorrow to stock up on frozen seafood. As you all know, now that hubby got a taste of it ,it is a staple in the HD household. Want to stock up on jumbo prawns ,crab ,scallops, and of course lobster tails. I hope I am not to late though as they usually hike the price up asap whenever there is an ecological crisis.
Need to stock up on halibut and wild salmon as well.

Have any of you seen the prices go up yet, I called the seafood place where we buy all of our fresh stuff and she raised her prices last week already.. :cry2:

I'm with HD - LOVE :heart: my seafood. I make a wicked good Shrimp Alfredo pasta meal.
But, I also love fresh water fish. We raise Channel Catfish (most are 7-10#) and with our new pond, we now have Big Mough Bass, Perch & Crappie. Nothing like catching fish, cleaning them & cooking on camp fire!!!

Jeanne post that recipe,, YUMMM.. You are right though I guess hubby and I will have to get our fishing rods out and do some fishing, we have awesome rainbow trout here.. :D I just don't like cleaning them though.. :roll:

I sure hope that get that well capped soon, the whole thing is just so very tragic.. :(

Ala, there is no shortage of beef in our household either, but a nice surf and turf once and a while is good too.

dun":2cuuu4d4 said:
hillsdown":2cuuu4d4 said:
a nice surf and turf once and a while is good too.
Would that be tunafish and hamburgers?

Grilled tuna is delicious.. :D Sushi tuna is yummy as well and we all know how much you love sushi Dun.. :lol:

I am all for hamburgers, heck any way beef is prepared you kinda can't go wrong.. :nod:

I feel kind of shallow even bringing it up, imagining what the folks who make their living along the Gulf will have to deal with, but - I'm sure gonna miss my shrimp!

I would rather not buy the farm-raised shrimp from China, Thailand, etc. My favorite grocery store carries wild-caught Gulf shrimp, perfect size, 16-20 per pound, and they generally fluctuate between $4.99 on sale to $7.99 per pound. I haven't been to that store since the spill, but I don't have my hopes up that they will still have those shrimp or that I will ever get them for $4.99 again. :cry2: My favorite thing to make with them is (was?) grilled pineapple shrimp.

hillsdown":3rtg3uee said:
dun":3rtg3uee said:
hillsdown":3rtg3uee said:
a nice surf and turf once and a while is good too.
Would that be tunafish and hamburgers?

Grilled tuna is delicious.. :D Sushi tuna is yummy as well and we all know how much you love sushi Dun.. :lol:

I am all for hamburgers, heck any way beef is prepared you kinda can't go wrong.. :nod:
I was thinking more along the lines of tuna in hamburger helper and hamburger in tuna helper. If there is such a thing as tuna helper

dun":ikweyi4o said:
I was thinking more along the lines of tuna in hamburger helper and hamburger in tuna helper. If there is such a thing as tuna helper
Actually there is ~ dump some frozen peas in with the Cheesy Cheddar Tuna Helper and MmmmmmMMM! Also recommend the Creamy Brocolli. :clap:

Checked the shimp today in the grocery and they haven't hiked the price yet but it looks like fuel is going up.

angie":2tv5bwyh said:
dun":2tv5bwyh said:
Actually there is ~ dump some frozen peas in with the Cheesy Cheddar Tuna Helper and MmmmmmMMM! Also recommend the Creamy Brocolli. :clap:

Geez Angel, you should just hie on over to the recipe board stat and git that one posted! :D

MistyMorning":100gxzd3 said:
angie":100gxzd3 said:
dun":100gxzd3 said:

Geez Angel, you should just hie on over to the recipe board stat and git that one posted! :D

What recipe, just open tuna can and read the instructions on the box.. Nikki could make it.. :p :lol: JK Angel ... ;-) :D

hillsdown":1wcsmw8a said:
What recipe, just open tuna can and read the instructions on the box.. Nikki could make it.. :p :lol: JK Angel ... ;-) :D
Well, there is that special touch with the frozen peas. And if you're having company you can crush up potato chips and sprinkle them on top ~ thats a party favorite for sure. :nod:

angie":2e9309y5 said:
hillsdown":2e9309y5 said:
Well, there is that special touch with the frozen peas. And if you're having company you can crush up potato chips and sprinkle them on top ~ thats a party favorite for sure. :nod:

That's a blast from the past! Potato chip crumbs on the casserole, how 60's. Had a friend's mom that always did that.

MO_cows":2jqjcec5 said:
That's a blast from the past! Potato chip crumbs on the casserole, how 60's. Had a friend's mom that always did that.

am I really that old because i can remeber that oh to well. lol

Prices on seafood here are holding for now. I might have to make a stop at the store tonight on my way home. your makeing me hungry for seafood and i just make shrimp scampi last week.

This is yesterday's update from my corporate headquarters(Sysco)

Sunday, NOAA shut down fishing in federal waters in portion of Gulf from Louisiana to Florida Pan Handle for the next 10 days. There was no hazards, this was done as a precautionary basis.
All seafood from Louisiana that is in the pipeline is 100% safe. Customers are buying up seafood at 4 times the normal rate, fearful that there supply will be cut off. This should not be done, all it is doing is driving up cost for not only Louisiana Shrimp but for the global market also. There are reports that the market is moving up .25 cents a pound already.
Oysters: Already in short supply, expect at least 30% less oysters hitting the market. The West side of the Mississippi river produces 73% of the oysters consumed and we feel that this will not be impacted. Many fisherman are leasing their boats to BP which also will cause shortages.
Shrimp: In reality, the shrimp will move as the oil approaches which should not hurt this year's catch. Once again, the problems are on the east side of the Mississippi river, the largest amount is harvested on the west side and the Texas season is upon us.
NOTE: Shrimp supplies were already strained before the spill, so a lot of the increases were already happening. Sysco Portico will not be affected on committed volume, new business has potential to be shorted. If everyone doesn't over react, we should be okay. Only suggestion would be to find alternative sources of oysters and be flexible on shrimp species and sizes.
We are in close contact with the State of Louisiana and its task force. Additional information will be posted on Blue Cube/Seafood Fish Tails as warranted.
FACT: Small whites from Asia have already been rising 10%, this additional increase with hit in about 4 weeks in addition to other increases.
To avoid short term shortages, I would suggest increasing your orders by 2-4 weeks inventory.

cfpinz":ptuu6d6x said:
I hate seafood, it all tastes like fish.

That ain't the worst taste my friend. It could taste like mutton, now that's a disgusting flavor if I ever saw one.

cfpinz":10r84jy8 said:
I hate seafood, it all tastes like fish.

So you won't be hanging out on the recipe board waiting for angrie to post that culinary delight called, "Tuna Noodle Hot Dish" (or casserole depending upon were you are located) ? My personal favorite idea of hers is the addition of crushed potato chips on top, now that right there must double the prep time. :D

Latest posts