Scours

Help Support CattleToday:

daniel.carver

Reaction score
Hi everyone :wave:
Finally the cows are calving. The question is, Blondie is a charlia cross, And she has an enormous bag this year. She had a bull calf & it's day three. He has poop built up on his rear. I haven't actually seen runny poop. Just concerned. What do you all think?
I haven't had a good year :cry: , lost a heiffer to bloat & lost an older cow to a spinal injury, both were w/calf. But things are looking up :).
I hope your all doing fine & calf prosperous.

Watch him for signs of dehydration. Lethargic, sunken eyes. What color is the stuff? If it is yellow call your vet and see what he says to give it. I can't remember what the drugs are but the vet has to sell them to you anyway. The last time I had to do it it cost like 25-30 dollars. It was a couple shots and some pills. Hope your season gets better!!

Sounds pretty normal to me, Scours won't build up, you will just see traces of them on the tail and wherever the tail can touch on the hips. Watch to see him poop. Also watch how he is, if he's bright, alert and lively you don't have a problem.

Thanks for the replies. I had also called the vet. The poop had built up on the rear and was hard & crusty, at one point I tried to pull it off. But it was like super glue. The vet said that it would eventually fall off. I checked him this morning & the right side had fallen off. He said that to keep flies off, I would have to wash w/water. Haven't done that yet though. So everything is good so far. Thanks again, Dan

Latest posts